IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So how does one go about it?
Just found out my daughters have switched back to IE. One even turned off virus protection...

So, I would like to know how to set up a proxy server and restrict thier access.

W2K workstations (192.168.1.xx)
Linux (RH 9) File server
Linksys Router 66.xx (iirc)
Cable Modem 24.xx (iirc)

Have a spare box if needed.

I'm now entering the realm of the unknown. I know about, but not how. Detailed instructions appreciated, or where to look for the detailed instructions.

And no, I cannot unplug my daughters' computer. With 20 (almost 21) y/o, 18 y/o and 16 it's needed for school and work and of course, chat. I have set up the router to disable internet access from 2300-0500 to force them off at night.

TIA

Joe
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New You can email Karsten
kmself at ix.netcom.com. Give him a kick in the butt to get his notes on how to do it online.

Failing that, you'll have to roll your own. The networking side is that the Windows machines should not be allowed to talk to the internet directly. On an intermediate box is a proxy server that can talk to the internet directly and can talk to the Windows machines directly. On there you have multiple proxies, one for Mozilla (go where you like) and one for IE (go to selected sites only). On the Windows side you'll need to figure out how to set the proxies correctly, and write scripts to continually reset them correctly.

While I know that all of this is possible in theory, I've done none of it myself. So unless someone volunteers to figure out any of these details, you may be on your own.

Sorry,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Email sent
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
     Is a $50 hardware firewall good enough to stop this? - (Another Scott) - (7)
         "clicking on things they know they shouldn't" - (Silverlock)
         It should do the trick for now. - (inthane-chan)
         Specifically because of firewalls . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             Karsten described a nice solution to me - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                 So how does one go about it? - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                     You can email Karsten - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Email sent -NT - (jbrabeck)

Nog that noise.
87 ms