IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Here's a fun question for you iSeries types?
Or is that i5 types, now? It'd be nice if IBM would stop renaming the damn thing.

OK, here's the situation:

My work uses iSeries machines for all their internal file servers, and our company intranet is hosted on one of them. This works just fine, for what our intranet is now, which is essentially a bunch of static pages with some javascript thrown in.

However, one problem with this that our intranet can only be updated by a few people who are familiar with HTML. This creates a bottlneck, and thus our intranet languishes from neglect.

What I'd like to do is set up a really simple Content Management System -- essentially a blogging program like Wordpress, with some heavily modified templates -- so that people who need to update the intranet can essentially log into the admin pages (without having to worry about getting permission to access the server space itself, which is a pain because that permission resets randomly for some unexplained reason), choose a category for the new information, upload a file if necessary, write a short blurb, and post -- voila, the magic of database creates a new page.

I know Wordpress can actually do this -- it's no slash or scoop, but for what we'd want the intranet to do, it'd work perfectly, and it's interface is simple enough for people to be able to learn pretty well. The *problem* is, Wordpress relies on mysql.

I've heard there is a version of mysql available for iSeries, but when I go to the mysql site none of the links come right out and say it. Which makes me wonder, is it a native iSeries port, or is it mysql for the virtual Linux thingy that iSeries does?

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of knowledge about iSeries, so I have no idea how big a pain in the ass it'd be to set up mysql on it, or how accessible that installation would be from our intranet, or whether the version available for the iSeries machine meets the minimum requirements for Wordpress.

The other option is to look for a relatively simple CMS that works with the iSeries native database. There are people onhand who could set up such a database for this... I'd just need to find something that works. But I'm not sure whether any of those products would make the process any easier than how we're doing it now -- I'm pretty sure Wordpress is easy enough for people to pick up.

Anyway... just wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction -- or tell me to give up this fool's errand. :)
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Dunno.
A little googling yielded something interesting, though.
[link|http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedpieceAbstracts/redp3639.html|http://publib-b.boul...cts/redp3639.html]
"Note: PHP is not supported on the iSeries by IBM. We have provided these instructions for you to be able to download a public domain open-source copy of a PHP engine to allow you to run PHP scripts on the iSeries."
Given that, then [link|http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=CMS&trove_cat_id=183§ion=trove_cat&Go.x=0&Go.y=0|this]?

I know - the unsupported bit is bad. I still thought it was interesting...
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New I thought it was a tad more complicated that this.
Not simply an html knowledge but a knowledge of how the Designer package works on the Domino side of things

My last company limited access to the web side of Domino for much the same reason...though our intranet was driven from a different location and given different security parameters. I could update files on the webserver...but had to submit anything for the Domino server to the server admin.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
     Here's a fun question for you iSeries types? - (cwbrenn) - (2)
         Dunno. - (imric)
         I thought it was a tad more complicated that this. - (bepatient)

There are perhaps no more tragic creatures than middle-aged, middle-class tourists, unused to traveling in unfamiliar places, on a lifetime dream vacation.
63 ms