IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I assume that our DBAs know that stuff...
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Don't.
New I've seen the books on their desks...
I've seen them refer to them upon need. I see signs that they are ongoing training. They seem to talk intelligently about what is happening in the database. What they say fits what I know. When there are problems, they seem to be able to troubleshoot them successfully. When application people want to learn more about how Oracle works, they happily recommend books that seem to have lots of good information.

OK, this applies to some of the DBAs. Some are obviously less competent than others, but the one that this project would be for fits the above description very well.

I lack the knowledge to tell more than that. It would take considerable effort for me to learn enough to really test whether they know what they are doing. I have other responsibilities.

I have read a couple of the books that they recommend though. And judging from what I learned there, they seem to be doing the kinds of things that they should be doing.

Beyond that, as long as I don't want to become a DBA myself, I have to assume. This assumption seems reasonable to me.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Our new DBA starts next week
Has a PHD in some area of bioscience.

He decided lab work was boring, and his buddy told him he'd make a great DBA, and the pay was a LOT more, so he's been doing it ever since.

For the last 10 years.

I have very few tag-team interviews where I can find NOTHING wrong technically with the interviewee. This was one of them. He even recommened some specific programming method for large data volume access/update that we have been using for a few years. None of the other candidates had even heard of it.

And the guy I was interviewing with is much harder than me. Was blown away as well.
New Any chance that he wants to move to LA?
New Or Seattle?
We're not having great luck finding good ones and we need many more.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Bunch of vultures
1 DBA. Just 1. That's all I ask for.

After going through a string of losers, doing damage, losing data, telling me that is OK if the system is slow, after all, the data is big (when I KNOW better), just 1 damn DBA is all I ask for.

You people with with your monster companies and your need for many DBAs wanting my 1 DBA? NO!!!! YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM!

Grow your own, dammit!
New We can't seem to grow them fast enough
See, we've got this big decentralization move on. Each group must maintain their own database (if they have one - my group is strictly UI frameworks). So everyone is busy trying to get DBA's for their groups. My parent group needs at least 2.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Damn, you have it good! Envy, envy.
Just so you know that that's not necessarily the typical situation...

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New There are a lot of atypical things about this company :-)
     Has anyone heard of a tool like this? - (ben_tilly) - (19)
         Im confused - (boxley) - (18)
             Explanation - (ben_tilly) - (17)
                 well that can be hand carved - (boxley) - (16)
                     That's a useless response - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                         Sounds like you are hand carving it - (broomberg) - (3)
                             I may have to... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Seems it does not meet the commercial x-over requirement - (broomberg) - (1)
                                     Point -NT - (ben_tilly)
                         spotted a book while looking for something else - (boxley) - (10)
                             I assume that our DBAs know that stuff... -NT - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                 Don't. -NT - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                     I've seen the books on their desks... - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                         Our new DBA starts next week - (broomberg) - (4)
                                             Any chance that he wants to move to LA? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                 Or Seattle? - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                     Bunch of vultures - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                         We can't seem to grow them fast enough - (tuberculosis)
                                         Damn, you have it good! Envy, envy. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                             There are a lot of atypical things about this company :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)

He’s negotiating with himself, and he’s losing.
110 ms