IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Walking through the fallow Pages
You know, I landed it as part of the (what do they call it?) iWork package, which I wanted for the Keynote update (to use in place of the execrable Powerpoint on those occasions, a couple of times a year, when I deem it politic to dazzle the management with a powerful dose of White Man's Juju), and glanced at it, but didn't form a clear impression. I'm accustomed to using full-featured (or whatever has passed as full-featured at various points time past—obviously the Aldus state-of-the-art page layout software designed to run on a Motorola 68000 in 1987 will not hold up well, featureset-wise, against today's MS Word) page layout programs, having put aside with regret Claris' old MacWrite Pro, which did everything I wanted from a word processor, after it died of neglect. I started using PageMaker in 1987; from about 1989 forward it became my principal composition and formatting environment until I migrated to InDesign about five years ago.

All this by way of saying that I don't spend much time with word-processing software that "also" does page layout: most of what I've seen over the years has tried to help by second-guessing me, and given that I've now been doing what they used to call "desktop publishing" (a term I was pleased to see expire: if only "webmaster" will follow it soon to e-nomenclature Valhalla!) for about half my adult life, I no longer need that kind of "help." Moreover, I've yet to warm to the UI conventions, particularly with respect to font handling, that are shared rather intimately between Keynote and Pages. I do not assert that these conventions are necessarily inferior (although I suspect that they might be), but approaching them with the advantage, or with the burden, of twenty years of contrary memory muscles does not dispose me to be receptive.

At some point this year I'll try to make time for Pages, and I'll report my findings should you still be interested by then. It may well be an optimal environment for fairly effortless page layout at the sacrifice of some flexibility. Since at my professional level of expertise I can already wield the dedicated layout tools without breaking a sweat, using software that very obligingly stays out of my way, it's unlikely that the novice-friendly Pages will ever become my principal or even occasional application for this purpose. But you may have better things to do with your Mac attention dime, and Pages could be just the thing for your purposes.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Word is a dismal page layout program.
Pagemaker 3 for Windows (comes with Windows 2 runtime environment) blows the doors off Word XP for actual page layout work.

Impression (a rather splendiferous program for the late and very lamented RISC OS) is similarly much better equipped for the laying out of pages than Word. And it fit on a single floppy and ran in 2MB of RAM. (I did much of my college and University work in Impression).

Word's ability to mix graphics and text on a page is, in fact, so bad that if I (at work) have a two-page newsletter or similar document to compose, I'll actually do it in Powerpoint. It's less painful.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Word is a dismal program.
I've not spent lots of time with pages, but did a few cursory tests of creating a few different layouts, including tables, then exporting as html, .doc, pdf and found that the cross document fidelity was unusually good. Generally, stuff looked like it was supposed to.

And the UI is dead simple.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
     Adobe devours Macromedia - (rcareaga) - (7)
         Aldus Freehand, Aldus Pagemaker - (folkert) - (5)
             Pagemaker: dead app walking - (rcareaga) - (4)
                 Have you tried Pages yet? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     Walking through the fallow Pages - (rcareaga) - (2)
                         Word is a dismal page layout program. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             Word is a dismal program. - (tuberculosis)
         Could be worse. - (ChrisR)

First documented case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard duck species.
56 ms