IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You are an *incompetent* bad guy
The competent ones have dictionaries of a few thousand likely passwords that they try on every login first. These will crack a significant fraction of accounts if there is no strong password policy, and running through them can be done reasonably fast.

Now suppose that there are 10 characters in the password, which could be upper case, lower case, or numbers. 62 possibilities. That is 62**10 possible combinations or 8.39299e17. Suppose that you are trying combinations at the rate of 1 billion per second. (You aren't, your CPU doesn't go nearly that fast.) Then it will only take you 8.39299e8 seconds to run through the possibilities. So after 13 years of hard work, the odds are still against you succeeding. Too bad the password was changed on you 12 years and 11 months ago!

Only incompetent bad guys use brute force on this problem unless the set of possible passwords is very limited.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Granted...
...I'm *not* a bad guy. I'm not a security guy, either. But still, requiring "2 UC chars, 2 lc chars, and a byte of punctuation" reduces the number of possible permutations of passwords quite a bit.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Disagree
You are assuming that I am limiting the possible characters in a password given my scheme above. I submit that without the requirement of characters beyond lowercase letters, users will almost universally use *only* lowercase letters.

So, mathematically speaking you are correct. In the real world of messy humans I think my scheme will, practically speaking, expand the number of possible passwords.
-----------------------------------------
"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
-- H. L. Mencken

Support our troops, Impeach Bush.
D. D. Richards
New But not enough to be even remotely useful
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Password policy letter - (Silverlock) - (29)
         Disagree about the expiration - (hnick) - (22)
             "feel free to adapt" - (Silverlock) - (21)
                 Re: "feel free to adapt" - (Yendor) - (19)
                     Are you sure about that? - (Silverlock) - (18)
                         Let's say I'm a bad guy - (Yendor) - (17)
                             On the other hand - (JayMehaffey)
                             Account locked after 5 bad passwords - (Silverlock)
                             You are an *incompetent* bad guy - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 Granted... - (Yendor) - (2)
                                     Disagree - (Silverlock)
                                     But not enough to be even remotely useful -NT - (ben_tilly)
                             Re: Let's say I'm a bad guy - (dws) - (10)
                                 BINGO! - (hnick)
                                 Yep, during security audit at gov agency I worked at - (tuberculosis)
                                 What's the alternative? - (Silverlock) - (6)
                                     Yeabut requiring frequent changes makes it worse. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         As I said before - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                             Understood. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     single signon with a 90 day passwd expiration - (boxley) - (2)
                                         Single signon is a happy dream - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                             Problem with SSO - (jbrabeck)
                                 Pretty much everyone will write it down anyways - (admin)
                 Make the expiration longer than that. - (ben_tilly)
         I, like it! Me being the password Nazi at work - (folkert)
         And here - (jbrabeck)
         Make 'em use Unicode. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             We've been looking at several alternatives - (Silverlock)
         Apart from the fact that passwords suck - (pwhysall)
         Bit of a late reply... - (static)

The LRPD wots of things you wot not of.
185 ms