IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New First RPM, now Red Carpet...
OK. Must not be my night or something. I had a longer spiel typed up about this, but Mozilla crashed and isn't restarting nicely on me. So I'm typing this up from Netscape 4.something on my home Linux box.

Peter showed me the wonders of the ways of Ximian's Red Carpet the other day. It appeared a bit flaky at work, but I was able to more easily work around it on my work machine due to a fat pipe. However, on my home machine with its wonderful 56k modem, I'm noticing its problems a bit more.

As you can see in [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=20281|My other post], I'm having RPM problems. I think the problems with Red Carpet might be related, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm attempting to download the "gftp" package. I don't run an FTP server or anything, but I like having packages up to date, as it were. So, I selected the "gftp" package from the list inside Red Carpet. It's version 1:2.0.8-ximian.2, containing "security update, other bugfixes." That's the only package I have selected. When I click the "Update Packages" button, I get the following:

Red Carpet was unable to successfully locate all the necessary
files to complete this request. The errors and conflicts that
occured are listed here, along with a suggested action to take.

Failed Dependencies\t\t
Package gnome-applets needs package libxml which cannot be
found.
Package libxml-devel needs package libxml equal to version
1.8.15 which cannot be found.
Package rpmfind needs package libxml greater than or equal to
version 1.8.7 which cannot be found.
Package pan needs package libxml greater than or equal to version
1.8.11 which cannot be found.
Package gnome-print needs package libxml which cannot be found.
Package libxml needs package libxml equal to version 1:1.8.16-2
which cannot be found.

Why, oh why, am I getting dependency errors for all these packages (like pan?!) when I just want to update gftp? And what's with libxml having a dependency on libxml itself?

Karsten et al, no comments from the peanut gallery about apt-get. :-P

(Edit: What Scott said.)
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
Expand Edited by Yendor Dec. 5, 2001, 10:02:15 AM EST
New Edit the long line in the PRE tag, please
It's wrapping off the screen now...
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Re: First RPM, now Red Carpet...
I know it's harsh, but let Red Carpet's "Verify Installed Packages" thing have its way with your system, noting anything major that it removes (cuz you sneak in behind its back and put all that stuff back later ;). This often entails a chunky (>50MB) download, but is worth the effort.

I've had *no problems* with Red Carpet, and that's with me being installed to all but one channel (that channel being Opera, because QT apps look sucky on a GTK desktop and Mozilla and Galeon eat its lunch anyway), with a slew of GNOME 2 preview stuff floating around...

Anyway.

Where was I?

Oh yes.

Ximian Evolution Rocks My World

Get it. [link|http://www.ximian.com/products/ximian_evolution/download.html|Now.]

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Except...
I can't run Ximian Desktop on Mdk 8.1

I do like evolution...and maybe will try the entire desktop when I can...but I currently cannot
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Sigh
That's what you get for running a *French* distribution.

Return to the flock, you errant sheep, and all will be well.

(Okay, Karsten. Race ya. Betcha I can have him running Red Hat 7.2 before you can get him running Debian whatevertheycallit).

My opening bid : When I installed Red Hat 7.2 off CD, the whole process was 15 minutes from booting off the CD to being on the Internet.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New RH7.2
Will be going on the P2-300 when I get the chance to swap the motherboard
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New gnome-applets appears the likely culprit
Ximian's gftp must have a reference to something in gnome-applets, which then causes the other dependencies. Definitely the one for libxml.

From reading between the lines at Ximian, Red Carpet doesn't stop at the package itself to determine dependencies, like RPM would. It goes down the tree until it has listed them all. That's probably why you get the pan dependeny. Most likely, that one is also triggered by gnome-applets.

Red Carpet itself is probably the reason for the rpmfind dependency: it could use it to locate the missing packages 'out there'. This is also hinted at on Ximian's Red Carpet's features page.

First RPM, now Red Carpet... - (Yendor) - (6)
         Edit the long line in the PRE tag, please - (admin)
         Re: First RPM, now Red Carpet... - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Except... - (bepatient) - (2)
                 Sigh - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     RH7.2 - (bepatient)
         gnome-applets appears the likely culprit - (scoenye)

Gee whillikers!
42 ms