IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I wrote my own
Its in java - therefore the UI sucks. I made it as good as I could without obsessing over it. And it only works with postgres. I outputs EOModel files which are useful with webobjects and GLORP.

It saves me a lot of time though.

Cayenne comes with a modeling tool too - both of these tools are designed to allow ORM, but the models they produce tends to be useful for other things - it captures both the logical and physical database design for instance.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis April 4, 2005, 01:14:42 AM EDT
New Object Role Modeling
Just in case ... I was using ORM to refer to Object Role Modeling, not Object Relational Mapping.

[link|http://www.orm.net|http://www.orm.net]

ORM is a conceptual information modeling language. And did I say it rox!
New Same old same old
You end up capturing the same information - only capturing it in an Object-Relational Meta Model gets you one more level of detail and allows you to automate a bunch of code such as schema definition language and object mapping code. In my extension to GLORP library, I automatically reshape the existing classes everytime a meta model (and database connection) is opened if it detects changes.

The difference is that using the visio toy, you just end up with pictures and files. You'll still be stuck writing all the software.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
     Open Source modeling tools. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
         Re: Open Source modeling tools. - (systems)
         Re: Open Source modeling tools. - (pwhysall) - (20)
             Heh. That's my preference. - (mmoffitt) - (19)
                 So, use those - (jake123) - (18)
                     Max(cost): buy a new scanner/printer - (FuManChu) - (17)
                         I like it:) -NT - (jake123)
                         Re: Max(cost): buy a new scanner/printer - (systems) - (15)
                             I'd suggest using uml - (jake123) - (10)
                                 Re: I'd suggest using uml - (systems) - (9)
                                     What exactly do you mean by "model" here? -NT - (Arkadiy) - (7)
                                         Re: What exactly do you mean by "model" here? - (systems) - (6)
                                             If you want to have a diagram, - (Arkadiy)
                                             Low-tech approach - (drewk) - (4)
                                                 Re: Low-tech approach - (dws) - (3)
                                                     UML's good for docs - (jake123) - (2)
                                                         UML is good at showing you where you screwed up - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                             I can see how that goes - (jake123)
                                     I'm not sure - (jake123)
                             Models are only as good as their specs - (admin)
                             Holy... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 Re: Holy... - (systems)
                                 I don't KNOW it was humor - (broomberg)
         I wrote my own - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Object Role Modeling - (systems) - (1)
                 Same old same old - (tuberculosis)

This is why I am in therapy.
143 ms