IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Note that the unit that converts cable to ethernet . .
. . will be provided by your cable company. The Linksys does not do that conversion but is actually just an ethernet router with no cable or DSL smarts whatever. You are concerned with what's in Peter's blue box where the Linksys would replace his Buffalo. Outside the box is provided by the cable company.

The Linksys (or any similar unit) has one WAN ethernet connection that can plug into any ethernet device. It has 4 LAN ethernet connections and the wireless access point which connects internally.

The Linksys is a Linux box which provides basic firewalling, port forwarding and that sort of stuff on a scale suitable for home or small business.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Yes, the cable people will provide the cable modem...
...for a "small monthly fee". My purpose in looking at the BEFCMU10 (or equiv) is to eliminate that "small monthly fee". In Peter's picture, that cable modem is the Motorola SurfBoard. I believe that the BEFCMU10 replaces that in my proposed layout.

Other than that, I'm with you....
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New I wasn't aware of that unit.
Apparently it's new, and I don't think they're charging rent for the modems around here, at least not separately itemized so there would be no savings. I'll ask a couple of subscribers.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Is/was charged here
Had so many ownership changes, don't remember who originally had it. Comcast now. I purchased my modem to eliminate the monthly charge.

Comcast charges for everything. Even the remote control for the TV cable box.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
     So lemme get this straight (wireless/Broadband question) - (jb4) - (17)
         Why separate router and wireless? - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
             Re: Why separate router and wireless? - (jb4) - (5)
                 Note that the unit that converts cable to ethernet . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     Yes, the cable people will provide the cable modem... - (jb4) - (2)
                         I wasn't aware of that unit. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Is/was charged here - (jbrabeck)
                 Cabling. - (static)
         I'd try to go with WPA-PSK if possible - (Steven A S) - (8)
             Re: I'd try to go with WPA-PSK if possible - (dws) - (7)
                 Thanks for the feedback - (jb4) - (6)
                     Re: Thanks for the feedback - (dws) - (5)
                         Got it...thanx - (jb4) - (4)
                             Old Linksys gear - (dws) - (1)
                                 My experiences with Netgear - (pwhysall)
                             don't bother - (Steven A S) - (1)
                                 Understood... - (jb4)
         Suh-WEET! - (jb4)

The piccolo of the Gods!
45 ms