IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What do YOU want to do?
First, I want to offer condolences--bad timing to say the least so near Christmas. Bummer. Hope you can make it through, financially and otherwise. Hang in there!

Second, what the heck do you, personally, want to do with your life? Have you thought about moving your IT skills from a blue-collar mindset to doing something for a company whose mission and purpose you really support? Are you passionate about anything? Boy, it sure sounds like you have *something* hidden away in the back of that mind that we haven't seen yet. That's what I would encourage you to go find--not just a replacement but a real opportunity. There's got to be a point at which you say "my life-mission is more than building software for the highest bidder". Find that passion and exploit it! :)

Good luck!
---------------------------------
A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New Good question
yes somewhere in the back of my mind I want to write programs that can be used as skeleton/templates for other companies. I want to help other companies develop their own Intranets and get on the Internet. I want to get things done and do something I can be proud of.

I do not want to slave for lawyers only to be let go afterwords and told not to complain about anything. If I get an offer from another lawfirm, I hope they are run a bit differently.

At first I wanted to develop open source applications and only charge for the customizations. But I am not sure if open source can pay off? So instead maybe I can make the applications commercial, and also charge for tech support and customization?

The idea job would be a work at home job with a DSL or Cable Modem or T1 line, and a good salary of at least $50K USD a year or more. I would also like to work at my own pace and have someone who understands what it takes to develop applications manage me instead of a bunch of lawyers putting pressue on my immediate manager to put pressure on me for impossible deadlines and/or tasks.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New About complaining
Don't do it too much. Bad for the soul. Those bastards are in your past - don't give them the mind-share that complaining takes.

And in any interview, they were saints in whose company you delighted, and from whom you learned ever so much. And though you regret parting ways, you understand and see it as a great opportunity. Practice saying that while looking someone in the eye.

----
"You don't have to be right - just use bolded upper case" - annon.
New Thanks for your wise advice
Rather than their magagement being reinacarnated Pharaohs of Acient Egypt, they are instead nicely saints who I had a pleasant experience working with and I learned a lot working with them. I look forward to using that experience and learning I got from their company and will apply it to my next employer.

Now if I can only say it without rolling around on the floor laughing/ :)

Thanks you made my day.

I'll practice it each day, and make sure that instead of laughing I smile. Smiling is good, it seems the brownnosers do it every day at my previous employer, even when they stub their toe, etc.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Actually good advice, Mike.
Prospective employers think you to will have the same attitude about them that you had about prior employers. And, unless they are very different in how they operate, more than likely, you will have the same attitude.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
     Cancel Christmas, I am now uninstalled - (orion) - (23)
         Commiserations - (pwhysall)
         Look at it this way... - (Yendor) - (3)
             ASP.NET - (orion) - (2)
                 3 years old? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Actually he does have an interest - (orion)
         Serious bummer - maybe... - (imric)
         Here's hopping things will improve. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Maybe I can find something? - (orion)
         Savor the feeling of relief a while longer - (Ashton)
         Laid off? - (inthane-chan)
         What do YOU want to do? - (tseliot) - (4)
             Good question - (orion) - (3)
                 About complaining - (mhuber) - (2)
                     Thanks for your wise advice - (orion)
                     Actually good advice, Mike. - (a6l6e6x)
         Take a vacation - (tuberculosis) - (7)
             In three months my house will be gone - (orion) - (6)
                 DO YOU GET UNEMPLOYMENT? - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                     Not sure, I just applied for it - (orion) - (3)
                         Love the .sig! -NT - (imric) - (1)
                             Use it if you like - (orion)
                         Check out the job shops, too - (bbronson)
                     UI pays 875 per month mtg 1550 oops:) - (boxley)

Everytime I hear the word 'Cthulhu', I go buy more guns.
89 ms