IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New In A5a, it works like this.
Hey, thanks for the i18n explanation. That never would have occurred to me.

I've never understood the weird Yank convention of writing telephone numbers as "(123) 456-7890" and so on. How much of that is the area code? One would think, just the bit in parentheses -- but then WTF is the dash all about? And do I dial it all in one fell swoop, without pausing for a dial tone at any point? If so, then why have any weird delimiters at all? And if not, then where do I pause -- at the dash? After the bit in parentheses? Both? Neither? Who the fuck knows...

You got a lot of it right. It's historical baggage. The (123) is the Area Code. It used to be that you needed to dial that if you were calling Long Distance, and you didn't if it was a Local call.

AFAIK, the - is to help people remember the number. To us, phone numbers are said as: Four Five Six (pause) Seven Eight Nine Oh/Zero. It also goes back to the days of [link|http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/Recommended.html|"exchanges"] like BRoadway-549 and, later, GLenview6-7890. In those days, you'd probably have started off by talking to an operator though.

It makes a lot more sense to my ear to have a 3 pause 3 pause 4 number than what the UK seems to do (based on the [link|http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/us/contact/index.shtml|BBC] numbers I've heard):

"Double Four (pause) Zero Two Zero Seven Two Four Zero (pause) Three Four Five Six"

Maybe we have a shorter attention span than the British. But Canada uses our system too, so it can't simply be that we're brain damaged.

It used to be that one had to pause after dialing 1 for Long Distance. I think the switching software doesn't care anymore.

A lot of metropolitan areas in the US require the use of an Area Code even for Local calls now, because so many numbers have been given out. But I still remember, and it wasn't that long ago, that one could dial 4 numbers in small towns in Ohio and reach the party you wanted in the same town.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New wrt Canada
well, we do that because the telephone was invented by a Canadian, so our phone system developed contemporaneously with yours. In short, your phone system is our phone system and vice versa.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
     Phone numbers and i18n - (Yendor) - (39)
         Only thing I would question - (jake123)
         If you want to make your display useful - (Arkadiy) - (3)
             What else could you store it as? -NT - (drewk)
             Re: If you want to make your display useful - (Yendor) - (1)
                 Country code, area code, main number, extension -NT - (Arkadiy)
         Re: Phone numbers and i18n - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             Re: Phone numbers and i18n - (Yendor)
         Basically, you're totally wrong, and your colleague right. - (CRConrad) - (22)
             American users are helped by it - (drewk) - (17)
                 In Charlotte, and surrounding area,... - (a6l6e6x)
                 No - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                     True, if everything's 10-digit no need for the '1' -NT - (drewk)
                     the leading one is to route to a stp for long distance - (boxley) - (2)
                         I know why its there - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                             duh, forgot about that :-) - (boxley)
                     Here too - (SpiceWare)
                     Well, (probably because I'm a contrarian) - (jb4) - (9)
                         Note on "overlaid" area codes. - (static) - (8)
                             Houston did both - (SpiceWare) - (7)
                                 Sounds like they didn't give enough notice. - (static) - (1)
                                     wasn't much - (SpiceWare)
                                 Re: Houston did both - (JayMehaffey)
                                 The reason our "Bell system" will NEVER increase... - (jb4) - (3)
                                     rule of 7 is long gone - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                                         Yes, of course - (jb4) - (1)
                                             I think that rule is slightly faulty anyway. - (static)
             In A5a, it works like this. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 wrt Canada - (jake123)
             Also, a11y. - (pwhysall)
             That's why you're an international linguist... - (jb4)
         I've had a little experience storing I18n phone numbers. - (static) - (3)
             Maybe you have to assume some level of user knowledge - (drewk) - (2)
                 Not to mention, having an International internal phone sys. - (folkert)
                 Definitely. - (static)
         The only thing you can assume - (tuberculosis) - (4)
             Have to disagree with that one - (drewk) - (2)
                 It would be a LOT of work - (tuberculosis)
                 No, Todd is right - (tonytib)
             Re: The only thing you can assume - (JayMehaffey)

Yo yo yo yo yo y-y-y-y-yo.
92 ms