IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New NY Times article with picture.
[link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/03/technology/03THIN.html|Segway Human Transporter.] (iwethey:iwethey)

Have at it.

This anti-UAV is the one for you, Ashton. But it may need rocket lauchers to be effective.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x Dec. 2, 2001, 11:18:17 PM EST
New Heavy. Expensive. Slow to charge. Why 2 wheels?
65 pounds. 6 hours to charge, only 2 hours to discharge. $3000.

It's got lots of problems.

I can see uses for it in applications like extending the range of letter-carriers. And I can see the price dropping substantially with mass-production.

But why only 2 wheels? It seems to me the thing will be difficult for normal people to control over real surfaces (bumpy roads and sidewalks). Even with a good gyro, the center of mass of the thing is very high with a real person on board.

Why not add fore and aft outrigger wheels (training wheels if you like) to help it tolerate real surfaces?

I can see applications for some companies, etc., like the Times story discusses. But until they get the weight substantially down (even 25 pounds will limit its market), and of course substantially reduce the cost it's not going to be a consumer product.

It'll be interesting to see how real trials go.

Keep at it boxley!

Cheers,
Scott.
New More/different details
[link|http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-8048077.html?tag=mn_hd|news.com]

Takes stairs, ice and snow easily, top speed of 17mph (quite a bit better than the 12mph I've seen elsewhere).
Regards,

-scott anderson
New segway.com
is the company's site.

They've got a (very slow) Flash "Interactive Model" presentation [link|http://www.segway.com.edgesuite.net/consumer/segway/|here] - click the central link.

A [link|http://www.segway.com.edgesuite.net/consumer/segway/product_specifications.html|Specifications] summary page says: Top speed 12.5 mph, maximum range 17 miles on a charge (though they expect a real number is closer to 11 miles), can carry a 250 pound passenger, you ride 8" above the ground, the "Segway HT" weighs 80 pounds.

One of the previous stories said that it could climb stairs, with the implication that the rider wasn't on at the time (as I read it). The tires seem to be at least 20" in diameter if the rider really is 8" off the ground. So some roughness in the terrain should be easily tolerable. And low steps. But it would still be fascinating to see in action in real conditions.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Think it was discussed here ~ couple years ago.
I recall seeing a video clip on the Tube IIRC - about 'It'. That was a larger machine. 65# doesn't seem excessive, and this is no doubt several mods later.

Social etiquette will undoubtedly trump any engineering excellence (or otherwise). So to realize efficiency of scale, he'll have to counter the standard reactionary mindset. $3K may indeed be fine for Corp, and especially for - the handicapped, surely the first obvious customers. Can people unable to set VCRs - keep from destroying it, though?

Will watch with interest.

(Alas - no match for the junk-carrying capability of the UAV, except maybe for that run to get the pizza - if someone will watch the brood)

Ashton
thanks for thinking sUAVely
     well this screwed about 5 things I have been dinking with - (boxley) - (12)
         Here's the link - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
             Wonder how it does in the rain . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 'Bout same as motorsickle? ___Free wash. :-) -NT - (Ashton)
         NY Times article with picture. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             Heavy. Expensive. Slow to charge. Why 2 wheels? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 More/different details - (admin) - (1)
                     segway.com - (Another Scott)
             Think it was discussed here ~ couple years ago. - (Ashton)
         Transforming Personal Transportation - (ChrisR) - (1)
             I'd use it. - (admin)
         Get Omniweb - (tuberculosis)
         LRPD Hath Spake, re this-all: "NO CARRIER"____:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)

So ... how hard is it to get into the Paris Hilton?
49 ms