IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's not an InnoDB table.
And I can't change it. Everything in the database is MyISAM; partly because that's the default. Besides, the server doesn't have InnoDB turned on, and the table requires a FullText index (which isn't supported on InnoDB).

I'm getting the impression that the loud and popular "free" database, MySQL, is still several years behind practically everyone else. Including the other "free" database, PostGres. I don't think The Powers That Be will be at all interested in changing the database. :-/

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New "Including 'THE' other..." ?!? :-(
If you're beginning to think it's ridiculous that so many people think of MySql as "THE" free database... then imagine how much "better" it is to imply that there is just ONE *other* free database.

(The most ironic thing about this is that PostGres, too, is just an upstart compared to [link|http://firebird.sourceforge.net/|Firebird]/[link|http://www.borland.com/interbase/|Interbase]; the latter began life at about the same time as, or even before, Oracle.)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Quite.
However, when the un-knowledgeable look for a "free" database, their first two choices are usually MySQL then PostGreSQL. As I've just unwittingly demonstrated. :-)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New That would be a problem.
MyISM is really only sutible for setting up a single user / single computer database. MySQL has been focusing on InnoDB based databases, since that is the database version that is transaction safe.

I'm getting the impression that the loud and popular "free" database, MySQL, is still several years behind practically everyone else. Including the other "free" database, PostGres. I don't think The Powers That Be will be at all interested in changing the database. :-/

MySQL is popular because it is fast and easy, but it is least SQL compliant of the popular databases. MySQL 5 seems to move it up a lot terms of SQL compliance and adds some key features, but I have not had a chance to play with it much. MySQL's popularity is really grounded in the fact that many low cost web hosting companies support nothing but MySQL.

Jay
     Simplistic Database locking. - (static) - (19)
         AFAIK, Oracle is the only one using its model -NT - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Postgres allows it too -NT - (broomberg) - (1)
                 Does it now? - (static)
         Re: Simplistic Database locking. - (JayMehaffey) - (6)
             The SELECT does. - (static) - (5)
                 Re: The SELECT does. - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                     It's not an InnoDB table. - (static) - (3)
                         "Including 'THE' other..." ?!? :-( - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Quite. - (static)
                         That would be a problem. - (JayMehaffey)
         The "Multi-Generational Architecture"... - (CRConrad) - (8)
             More commonly known as MVCC - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                 You'd be amazed - (drewk)
                 MySQL Gotchas - (cforde) - (2)
                     My favorite quote: - (folkert) - (1)
                         Somebody's channeling Peter in 'snarky' mode. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                 That postgres link is really useful. - (static) - (2)
                     mysql - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         That is the question *I* keep asking MySELF. - (folkert)

*plonk*
201 ms