IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Showed both to my students

In an intro to network security course, I showed both Sneakers and Swordfish to compare and contrast how Hollywood portrays hackers/crackers/computers/etc.

Tom Sinclair

"This is a lovely party," said the Bursar to a chair, "I wish I was here."
-- The Bursar is a man under a *lot* of stress
(Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)
New I like Sneakers. I didn't like Swordfish.
Having worked with encryption, it's clear the makers of both films have not. :-( But Sneakers is overall a much, much better film. I couldn't finish watching Swordfish - the amorality of Travolta's character bothered me.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Agreed

After each 'sneak' (the bank, the university lab, the toy company) in Sneakers, I pause and we discuss the techniques used. What I like about Sneakers is the way that most of their work is done through social engineering. I make sure to point out where they fall down on the subject of crypto. In general, though, it's about the best portrayal of hacking/cracking I've seen in a major commercial movie.

As for Swordfish - Now that you mention it, this movie bothers me more these days with the current administration than it used to. However, despite my reservations about Travolta's character, he does a very good job portraying the amoral zealot Gabriel.

Tom Sinclair

"This is a lovely party," said the Bursar to a chair, "I wish I was here."
-- The Bursar is a man under a *lot* of stress
(Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)
     Film: Wargames - (inthane-chan) - (5)
         Suckfish - (lister) - (1)
             And berries they are... -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Showed both to my students - (tjsinclair) - (2)
             I like Sneakers. I didn't like Swordfish. - (static) - (1)
                 Agreed - (tjsinclair)

I am so upset that this clown of a woman figured out my SUPER PLAN TO SCAM MILLIONS FROM THE UNKNOWING BEANIE WORLD!
300 ms