IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So, what's the recommended AV software these days?
Given that Norton and McAfee (or the other big name - I can't remember it off the top of my head) seem to be folding as far as detecting this thing, and thus giving AV authors a back door in, what's the big Windows AV software these days?

And don't say Linux, I already know that one... ^_^

When I get my dead HD back, it's a Linux partition. 20gb of Linux, 20gb of Win2k.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Sophos.
British.
Good.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New I second that motion
Light on the resources, clients for many OSen including Windows, OS/2, and Linux. Geared towards corporate multiuser licensing though. We have it on our mail server and desktops. I like it.

And less likely to let that "Magic Lantern" CIA virus through perhaps?

They have demos on their [link|http://www.sophos.com/downloads/products/|website]. You have to request a password to access them.
--
Chris Altmann
New The main problem seems to be...
...finding a retailer in the U.S. that carries them for single users. :P

I sent their U.S. office an e-mail, we'll see if they have time for a single license sale... :)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New I continue to recommend TrendMicro
We've had their OfficeScan Corp Edition product for a couple years now and it works swimmingly (okay, there was a glitch with *one* of the dailies last year--all fixed now).
---------------------------------
A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New I prefer prevention.
No Outlook. No IIS.

But if you still want a signature scanner... I used to recommend Dr Solomon's and Vet from Cybec, but McAfee - whom I don't particularly trust - bought the former and Network Associates bought the latter.

I also recall a clever little product called Victor Charlie. I wonder what happened to it. It was really a file integrity manager, but it had it all packaged up so well and had a nifty signature scanner for the "common" ones that it could self update from "suspicious" files.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Any Security types following this? (detecting FBI Trojans) - (Ashton) - (19)
         Extra small? -NT - (Silverlock)
         McAffee waffling, in denial - (kmself) - (1)
             Ah.. thanks. Plot thickens. Double-Plus Ungood. - (Ashton)
         one more time with feeling - (boxley) - (9)
             Get that, but - this seems about intentionally - (Ashton) - (7)
                 well do you trust yer security to a program? - (boxley) - (6)
                     You should at least GREP your logs once in a while. - (n3jja) - (5)
                         KAZAA? - (andread) - (2)
                             *shrug* Beats me. - (n3jja) - (1)
                                 Google is your friend. - (a6l6e6x)
                         dont grep them read the logs religiously -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                             Sorry, Box, I'm not that anal about it. ;-) -NT - (n3jja)
             But isn't this a bit like wiretapping? - (orion)
         So, what's the recommended AV software these days? - (inthane-chan) - (5)
             Sophos. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 I second that motion - (altmann) - (1)
                     The main problem seems to be... - (inthane-chan)
             I continue to recommend TrendMicro - (tseliot)
             I prefer prevention. - (static)