IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Impersonating a journalist?
I dunno. What exactly did Novak do that was so wrong? What law did he break? He reported some gossipy tidbit of news, and refused to reveal his sources. Journalistic privilege, public has a right to know, yadda yadda.

And if it turns out he got it wrong, that's still no worse than all the others. Hell, Dan Rather practically got it wrong on purpose. He went out of his way to be misled.

Come to think of it, [link|http://slate.msn.com/id/2089249/|why are any of them criminally liable?] Near as I can tell, Plame wasn't all that important. We're not talking some deep cover operative in the bowels of the Kremlin here.

And, lest we forget, this was supposedly all about Joe Wilson, for telling the truth about the Niger uranium. But we later learned he had contradicted himself on that same issue. So what's this all about now?

----------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't like my posts, don't click on them.
Well, pardon us for winning the election.
New outing CIA agents is a crime, a Bushie done it . The End
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" Terry Pratchett

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Neither of which is firmly established. Not the end.
(But it certainly seems to be winding down, and rightly so.)

[link|http://slate.msn.com/id/2089249/|Read it again, more carefully]

Excerpt:

The problem with the Intelligence Identities Protection Act is that it doesn't appear to apply to the Novak case. To win a conviction, the law requires, among other things:

1) That the individual has or had "authorized access to classified information that identifies a covert agent." If Novak's administration sources had only unauthorized access to the information about covert officer Plame, learning about her identity and her mission, say, in a hallway conversation from a visiting CIA officer, the law wouldn't apply here. Perhaps they might go after the hypothetical CIA officer, but they'd run in to a slew of other legal problems sketched out below.

2) That in addition to having had authorized access to the information about the covert agent, the individual must have "intentionally" disclosed it to an individual not authorized to receive classified information. This clause protects the government employee or member of Congress who might accidentally blurt out the name and identity of a covert agent. (In 1991, Sen. David Boren, D-Okla., mentioned the name of a CIA station chief as he emerged from a closed-door session.) So, in addition to the other tests, a prosecutor would also have to prove the leaker's intent to blow the agent's cover. This poses a huge problem in the Novak case because the vague language of his column doesn't identify Plame as covert, but as a "CIA operative on weapons of mass destruction." It's plausible that Novak's source didn't know\ufffdas we now know\ufffdthat Plame was "undercover."

3) That the individual knew he was disclosing information that identifies a "covert agent and that the United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such covert agent's intelligence relationship to the United States." [Emphasis added.] So far, we have no evidence that the United States is taking "affirmative measures" to protect Plame's identity. Anecdotal stories in the press indicate that she's raising 3-year-old twins. The government would have to prove it was actively protecting her identity for a future assignment. This could mean keeping her name out of CIA phone directories; giving her an office off the Langley, Va., campus of the CIA; etc. But Clifford May and others say Plame's identity was well known in some Washington circles. That could argue that the agency wasn't taking affirmative measures to conceal her identity. Plame's husband, Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV, told New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd this week that she surrendered her secret identity to him somewhere around the time of their first kiss! If Plame's been sloppy with her identity, should somebody go to jail for leaking it? Last, the individual would have to know the government was taking affirmative measures to protect her identity. If he didn't know that, he'd be free from prosecution.

But what about Robert Novak? The law leaves him in the clear, too, unless he starts routinely disclosing covert agents' identities with the intent to harm U.S. intelligence-gathering capabilities, as the Agee crowd did.
----------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't like my posts, don't click on them.
Well, pardon us for winning the election.
New I noted that you ignored my post below
regarding obstruction of justice charges. :-)
New "Obstruction of Justice" for starters....
that's a fairly significant one... I believe it and prejury nailed Clinton.

See, the issue isn't as in the Slate article what "Novak did wrong." (Although I find you're attitude toward releasing US Secrets appalling to say the least)

The issue is how did he get that information in the first place. (You might remember this is important, because even ol' Dan had to roll over on his sources regarding the Bush documents.)
See, reporters don't have any special rights to protect their sources -- they can print what they want, 1st amendment and all that....but they can't protect their sources.

So...the question is, who ratted out Plame....and committed a crime in doing so?
New Seems less of a crime than impersonating a patriot

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
     can anyone (marlowe eg:) explain why Novak isnt facing jail? - (daemon) - (14)
         My (limited) understanding. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Strictly speaking... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                 The decision today mentions the 5th Amendment. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Correct. - (Simon_Jester)
         The decision today is a good read. - (Another Scott)
         Novak has not been called into court yet - (JayMehaffey)
         Freedom of the press or something, maybe. - (marlowe) - (7)
             what law did rather break? other than law of common sense? -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                 Impersonating a journalist? - (marlowe) - (5)
                     outing CIA agents is a crime, a Bushie done it . The End -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                         Neither of which is firmly established. Not the end. - (marlowe) - (1)
                             I noted that you ignored my post below - (Simon_Jester)
                     "Obstruction of Justice" for starters.... - (Simon_Jester)
                     Seems less of a crime than impersonating a patriot -NT - (tuberculosis)

On trumpet: Peter O'Toole!
60 ms