IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I would still like to believe that this applies to pop
and not at all to recording of 'classical', even today - at least I've never heard of a full orchestra sound being 'tuned' for car speakers (or compromised because of noting those results). Certainly true though, especially with the gadgetry now available - what you get will never be from 'a straight wire with gain' from classic Neumann mics, say.

But since the 'Reference Speakers' are inextricably a part of the listening room, having its reverb-time and other qualities: there really is no such thing as a Reference Listening Experience\ufffd (as in NIST-calibration, say). And an anechoic chamber just never would be a useful way of evaluating a music performance, much as it is useful for quite a lot else. We simply cannot relate ears + brain to music 'played' in such a Dead environment.

(I recall seeing pics of a guy's listening room, eons ago: he had made one wall the end of an exponential horn, cast in concrete; grille cloth across this maw, attention paid to no parallel walls or simple integer relationships of wall sizes etc. Suitable drapes, furniture etc.) This was quite pre- billions of transistors and 5000 controls you can set funny. This I deemed excess but not silly, whereas much marketed today is entirely Faith-based Expensive-snake oil, where any proposed double-blind tests are anathema to the hucksters. (Bob Pease, Chief Sci. at National Semiconductors and an anointed Analog Wizard -- did some hilarious takes on this.)

But then, too many million words have been wasted already -- imagining to separate the measurable from the subjective in recording/listening. Just like religion, audio has its Fundies, too. It's What We Do cha cha cha

moi
New I suspect there are specializations
And I can see choosing to optimize classical for the high end speakers. Even so, the dynamic range of most performances exceeds the capability of the equipment. Compressors are still essential to allow speakers to survive Haydn's little joke.

I recently went fishing for a nice collection of Django Reinhardt tunes. There are a number of collections available. Many of them are labeled "remastered" and the careful listener will note that they do sound a bit brighter. However this apparent high end comes at the cost of warmth and is largely the result of introduction of harmonic distortion. While it gives the tracks "modern production values", it costs them in soul and depth. I much prefer the older masterings that sound a little darker, a bit warmer, and to my ears a lot purer.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
     Laptop maintenance - (bepatient) - (19)
         You've been busy! -NT - (imric) - (3)
             Waiting for delivery - (bepatient) - (2)
                 Heheh. Missed the Captain Privelege / Peter Patriot ref - (imric) - (1)
                     Needed to add the "Captain" - (bepatient)
         Speaker Maintenance - (bepatient) - (11)
             Re: Speaker Maintenance - (Ashton) - (10)
                 Twas truly cooked - (bepatient) - (9)
                     Re: Twas truly cooked - (Ashton) - (8)
                         Those are a fine pair - (bepatient) - (7)
                             I've tried my hand at... - (folkert) - (5)
                                 Full Circle! - (Ashton)
                                 Sounds like voodoo - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                     Yessir. - (folkert)
                                     I would still like to believe that this applies to pop - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         I suspect there are specializations - (tuberculosis)
                             Migawd.. so someone stole the NAME, too____Figures :-/ -NT - (Ashton)
         Does the iTrip work well? - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Depends on your free stations - (SpiceWare)
             Good enough - (bepatient)

We are gonna party all... night... LONG!
67 ms