IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Anybody using VMWare ESX Server?
For production servers, not test/dev/qa stuff. I mean honest-to-God production servers? If so, what are you running? File/Print, Database, Web, Portal, App Servers, all of the above? And most imporantly, if you are using that for production servers, how well are you sleeping at night?
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
God Bless America.
New danreck/screamer does at...
De Notre Dame. He sleeps really well. Maintenance is really easy.

IBM sells a package deal that works VERY EXCEPTIONALLY WELL!

The place I used to work GRCC uses it for its student knock around server machines both many Windows Variants, Linux and *BSD, for the Crystal Reports farm and W2K3 Servers Weblogic Webserver. They have found that Images are easier to deploy on ESX because it sort of an instant thing. (instant compared to re-format-reload).

I an envious, mainly because I started the Whole Virtual thing there... Dam. I wanted to do it.

And Yes, I'll have some gorgonzola with that thine.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

[link|http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=134485&cid=11233230|"Microsoft Security" is an even better oxymoron than "Military Intelligence"]
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
New The IBM package was what I had just demo'd to me.
bcnu,
Mikem

God Bless America.
New No, but I considered it.
Cost KILLED me. Ended up being $15K
per box by the time we added the
multi-processor option and support.

My boss asked me to defend adding $15K
to a $20K box, and having things run
30% slower (at best).

And then another $7K per year per
box for support.

I couldn't.

I wanted it, I techno-lusted after it,
but I could not justify it.
New 30% slower?
Is that a WAG or do you have benchmarks indicating that? I know this is a function of processor/memroy/disk/etc. utilization (IOW, if the standalone servers are being utilized at 10%, then virtualizing 4 of them I wouldn't expect to see a big decrease in performance). Just curious where you came up with "30% or lower at best."
bcnu,
Mikem

God Bless America.
New Tested
My stuff is VERY CPU intensive, while also pounding the hell out of the Gbit network. The specs said 5-10%, which I was willing to live with. My tests showed 30%, which I was not.
New Okay. Thanks.
bcnu,
Mikem

God Bless America.
     Anybody using VMWare ESX Server? - (mmoffitt) - (6)
         danreck/screamer does at... - (folkert) - (1)
             The IBM package was what I had just demo'd to me. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         No, but I considered it. - (broomberg) - (3)
             30% slower? - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Tested - (broomberg) - (1)
                     Okay. Thanks. -NT - (mmoffitt)

A user complaining that Facebook doesn't work well is like a cow complaining that the slaughterhouse doesn't work well.
79 ms