IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Linux takes flight at Korean Airlines
... and not long after Linux hit the road with Winnebago. Linux is already aboard the Shuttle. What's next? :)
[link|http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2787187,00.html|
IBM rings up another mainframe win for Linux]
By Peter Galli, eWEEK
July 16, 2001 4:14 PM ET

Demand for Linux on the mainframe continues to gain momentum, with IBM notching up another win for its eServer system. This time Korean Airlines is moving its Flight Schedule Enquiry System and Daily Revenue Accounting System to Linux on IBM hardware and software.

Korean Air is implementing IBM's Websphere and Tivoli systems through an eServer z900 mainframe running Linux. The system gives more than 3,000 pilots and flight attendants real-time online flight schedule information that they can update at any time. The airline has a fleet of 111 airplanes that service 77 cities in 29 countries.

Korean Air is also developing a Linux-based accounting system and plans to open its back end to business partners to broaden its sales channel. It has been developing the Daily Revenue Accounting System since February, using IBM's WebSphere Studio and Visual Age for Java development tools for deployment on IBM's DB2 database software and WebSphere Application Server for Linux.

"We decided to deploy our flight scheduling systems on Linux because we were able to consolidate workloads that had been running on a variety of different servers," said Yong-Seung Hwang, chief information officer at Korean Air. "A single IBM eServer z900 running Linux can do the work of an entire server farm. Multiple copies of Linux can run side by side on a server, allowing for highly scalable and manageable environments that can handle unpredictable spikes in Internet activity."
On a roll

The customer win comes on the heels of a recent deal with Winnebago Industries Inc., which announced it was implementing a new e-mail platform based on an IBM eServer running Linux.
New in 1999 I worked on a study that looked hard at IBM & linux
and could see at that time the possible replacement of server farms with big iron running multiple copies of linux taking hardware support out of the cost structure. If IBM is willing not to strangle buyers of same.
thanx,
bill
can I have my ones and zeros back?
     Linux takes flight at Korean Airlines - (brettj) - (1)
         in 1999 I worked on a study that looked hard at IBM & linux - (boxley)

It's their own fault! If they wanted to break the law without consequences, they should have gone into banking.
56 ms