IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Recommended host for a e-mail list?
No, this isn't spamming - the whole thing is opt-in. ^_^

I'm involved in a PBEM game - and I need a resource to host a mailing list for it. Are there any (emphasis on FREE) sites that provide such a service?

Must not be blocked by the EPA. ^_^
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Try this one...
[link|http://groups.yahoo.com/|Yahoo! Groups]

I've used it rather successfully for a number of email lists. I've heard reports of it not sending all emails to all subscribers, but those are unconfirmed.
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New Already did. :-(
That's the one that our EPA member can't join.

Actually, it's not because of the EPA's filters - it's because Yahoo automagically capitalizes his e-mail address for some furkin' weird reason.

The US EPA does it's e-mail addresses in the following manner:

last.first@epa.gov

If I enter his e-mail addres as that, Yahoo groups calls it

Last.First@epa.gov - and he can't send e-mails TO the group.

Go figure.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Why should capitalization matter to the software???
New It shouldn't.
My guess is that somebody's doing a byte-for-byte compare of the e-mail addresses - since my friend gets back a message reading "last.first@epa.gov is not subscribed to the list" and "Last.First@epa.gov" is in the list, AND he recieves e-mails from the list, with Last.First@epa.gov as the "to:" item.

Also, I haven't been able to contact Yahoo! support - they just won't respond about it. Sigh.
New Non-RFC compliant
> That's the one that our EPA member can't join.
>
> Actually, it's not because of the EPA's filters - it's because Yahoo automagically capitalizes his e-mail address for some furkin' weird reason.
>
> The US EPA does it's e-mail addresses in the following manner:
>
> last.first@epa.gov
>
> If I enter his e-mail addres as that, Yahoo groups calls it
>
> Last.First@epa.gov - and he can't send e-mails TO the group.
>
> Go figure.
> "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
EPA's not RFC compliant then.

The user and host portions of an email address are supposed to be case-insensitive. The reason is that there are some systems which lack upper (or more often lower) case support. The Yahoo / EPA thing is totally borked -- both systems are screwed up. But you should have him ping his postmaster.

Relevant RFCs are 822 and 2822, along with a few others.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Actually, the EPA is compliant.
He is recieving e-mails sent TO Last.First@epa.gov - it's Yahoo that won't accept last.first@epa.gov. Go figure.

He's listed as subscribed in the group, recieves e-mail to the group, but any mail he sends out gets bounced from the list because "he's not subscribed."
New Lycos has communities, too.
Not used them, though. I just know about them.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New How much traffic are you expecting?

I have a list manager on my site. Would a <some game name>@jakesplace.dhs.org address be ok for you? You'll need to send me the email addresses you want to have included. I imagine I could get it up and running within half an hour of hearing your prefs for it...

OS/2 to the rescue again!;)
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------
* Jack Troughton jake at jakesplace.dhs.org *
* [link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|http://jakesplace.dhs.org]] [link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org]] *
* Montr\ufffdal PQ Canada [link|news://jakesplace.dhs.org|news://jakesplace.dhs.org] *
New About 30 a day at most.
Would 'rtttoee' work for <somename>?

Give me an address at jakesplace, and I'll send you the name list (just give me the name, leave jakesplace.dhs.org off, and I'll piece the two together through the advanced parsing algorithm I've painstakingly created over years of work...
New Re: About 30 a day at most.

What's your email? You can get me at [link|mailto:jake@jakesplace.dhs.org|jake@jakesplace.dhs.org]. I've already created the address and have set up the list manager. The address is rtttoee@jakesplace.dhs.org. I've subscribed your Yahoo address and myself; I'll be sending a test mail to you by the list. Mail the list you want me to put in there and I'll enter it. Alternatively, if you'd like someone to be the list administrator, I can arrange that as well.

-- 
* Jack Troughton jake at jakesplace.dhs.org *
* [link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|http://jakesplace.dhs.org]] [link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org]] *
* Montr\ufffdal PQ Canada [link|news://jakesplace.dhs.org|news://jakesplace.dhs.org] *
     Recommended host for a e-mail list? - (inthane-chan) - (10)
         Try this one... - (Yendor) - (6)
             Already did. :-( - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                 Why should capitalization matter to the software??? -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     It shouldn't. - (inthane-chan)
                 Non-RFC compliant - (kmself) - (1)
                     Actually, the EPA is compliant. - (inthane-chan)
             Lycos has communities, too. - (static)
         How much traffic are you expecting? - (jake123) - (2)
             About 30 a day at most. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 Re: About 30 a day at most. - (jake123)

And let's have a little taste of that old computer-generated... swagger... yes.
52 ms