IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is there any way this can be done with DTS instead of VB?
Are there a lot of indexes on the table(s) you are doing the inserts into? IOW, could it be that your data is causing a lot of page splits for the indexes? If Sql Server is having to re-org its index trees because of a patindex setting during your inserts a lot, I've seen that hit performance drastically (although v8/Sql 2000 is much better, so this might not be your problem).

You might not be able to do this, but if you can drop the indexes prior to the insert and rebuild them post bulk insert that might help (of course if you - as you should - have a clustered index on the table(s) you are inserting into you should not drop those indexes, and yes, I realize what I'm suggesting).

I used to write a lot of VB6 "insert" programs, but found that using a DTS package performed much better.

HTH.
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
God Bless America.
New Not a VB program.
The program itself is fine - it's in DataStage, which is what DTS aspires to be when if grows up.

I confess I don't have the time / interest (ok, primarily the interest) to research it - I'm getting the box rebooted. If that fixes it, I'll just moan about Windows/Sql Server some more, and move on...

Thanks heaps for your ideas though - if I end up having to look into the problem closely, at least I'll now know where to start :)
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
     MS Sql Server Slowness - (Meerkat) - (8)
         If this is abnormal... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             It's a daily process - (Meerkat)
         I agree with your diagnosis. - (Another Scott)
         Is there any way this can be done with DTS instead of VB? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Not a VB program. - (Meerkat)
         is it a winders box? - (daemon) - (1)
             ICLRPD (new thread) - (drewk)
         The reboot fixed it. Thanks all for you help! -NT - (Meerkat)

Courage is your greatest present need.
137 ms