IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If this is abnormal...
then look for what changed.

Rebooting might solve it. Network trouble could potentially explain it (dropped packets and all that).

My first guess would have been that certain coding techniques were used (eg using recordsets in VB without realizing that that sends an update once per field per row, which really adds up), though your insistance that normally you go much faster suggests that that isn't your problem.

Also note that Sybase (and therefore likely SQL Server) will slow down drastically once a row of data no longer fits in a single packet. But IIRC, drastically is a factor of 4-5, not several hundred.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New It's a daily process
And I can say 'nothing has changed' with all the credibility that a programmer can summon when s/he says that :)

I since found a query someone else was running (emphasis on the 'was' part), and it's now picked up the pace to a blinding 4 rows per second.

Darn.

/me wanders off to find the 'please reboot this box' paperwork :(

If only there was a 'convert to Oracle so it might actually work' form :)

Hi, my name's John, and I'll be your database bigot this evening...
     MS Sql Server Slowness - (Meerkat) - (8)
         If this is abnormal... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             It's a daily process - (Meerkat)
         I agree with your diagnosis. - (Another Scott)
         Is there any way this can be done with DTS instead of VB? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Not a VB program. - (Meerkat)
         is it a winders box? - (daemon) - (1)
             ICLRPD (new thread) - (drewk)
         The reboot fixed it. Thanks all for you help! -NT - (Meerkat)

Sufficiently advanced so as to be indistinguishable from magic.
62 ms