IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ex-FBI Officials Criticize Tactics On Terrorism
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24919-2001Nov27.html|Detention of Suspects Not Effective, They Say]

"The aggressive FBI dragnet -- championed by Attorney General John D. Ashcroft -- has provoked much commentary and criticism for its impact on civil liberties. Now, in a series of on-the-record interviews, eight former high-ranking FBI officials have offered the first substantive critique of the Ashcroft program, questioning whether the new approach will have the desired effect.
The executives, including a former FBI director, said the Ashcroft plan will inevitably force the bureau to close terrorism investigations prematurely, before agents can identify all members of a terrorist cell. They said the Justice Department is resurrecting tactics the government rejected in the late 1970s because they did not prevent terrorism and led to abuses of civil liberties.
Former FBI director William H. Webster said Ashcroft's policy of preemptive arrests and detentions "carries a lot of risk with it. You may interrupt something, but you may not be able to bring it down. You may not be able to stop what is going on."
"It's the Perry Mason School of Law Enforcement, where you get them in there and they confess," Walton said of the plan to interview 5,000 Middle Eastern men. "Well, it just doesn't work that way. It is ridiculous. You say, 'Tell me everything you know,' and they give you the recipe to Mom's chicken soup."
While Revell and others said the 5,000 interviews may have a short-term deterrent effect, they said the tactic is problematic. "One, it is not effective," Revell said. "And two, it really guts the values of our society, which you cannot allow the terrorists to do."
Through years of trial and error, the FBI has found that intelligence-gathering rarely deterred terrorist acts unless it was combined with long-term criminal investigations that employed informants, undercover agents and electronic surveillance."
New Yeah Sure
I am going to pay close attention to these guys after they did such a magnificent job of protecting the US from terrorist attacks. Say weren't these guys in charge when the 9/11 terrorists were planning their attacks for something like 2 years? But, I can't be too hard on these former FBI mandrins, the terrorists cleverly used their own names to rent cars and apartments in the US and take flying lessons (I only wanna know how to turn this baby) while on the FBI wanted lists for 2 years.

So why would any reasonable person question their investigative expertise?
:-)
     Ex-FBI Officials Criticize Tactics On Terrorism - (bluke) - (1)
         Yeah Sure - (Decco Dave)

Nobody EVER expects the Spanish Inquisition!
31 ms