IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The evils of drugs^H^H^H^H^H police work
"This is some kind of sick joke. It's just unbelievable. They don't give a stuff about the parents who lose otherwise normal children to the lure of part-time Police work. Policemen are totally unpredictable, and their potential for harm is very great."
-endquote

[link|http://www.theschmews.com/lang/en/articles.asp?iid=97|[link|http://www.theschmews.com/lang/en/articles.asp?iid=97|http://www.theschme...s.asp?iid=97]]
When I visit the aquarium, the same thought keeps running through my mind;
Leemmmooonnn, Buuttteerrr, MMMmmmmmm good!
New No workee
With or w/o jscript, stylesheets - 'least in NS 4.5.. Just a colorful header with few links and a blank screen below. Another Improved IE 6.x? or something weird about .asp

Oh well.

I don't have to know Everything
New A cut and paste job just for Ashton
Police Work OK At Weekends
By Recreational Drug User

London (UK): The debate over relaxing UK police laws has been reignited after senior drug users in Essex said they would support the work of members of the part-time Special Constabulary, but only at weekends. Jez Hooter, a regular user of cocaine and ecstasy, said on Saturday that although on Monday to Friday, he considered the Police to be a bunch of ignorant pigs, his group of friends would be prepared to support the work of the Police part-timers "if medical and scientific evidence suggests they are doing a good job".

Charlie Snow, second-in-command, of the Essex Nosebag Gang went even further, saying he would rather "turn a blind eye" to the recreational membersip of the Police Force, even though he considered it completely abhorrent that someone would want to be a part-time Police man or woman. Snow went even further still in admitting that he believed that these part-time officers sometimes do a good job. However, Snow was later rebuked by Hooter for his comments, and made it clear they were his own opinions and that he was fully focused in continuing the work of calling the Police "Fascist Pigs" and generally abusing them at every available opportunity.

Angry Reaction

The comments by Hooter and Snow have provoked an angry reaction from campaigners for the right to abuse the often heavy-handed behaviour of the Police.

Sebastian Coke, whose son was lost to the Police force five years ago was furious.

"This is some kind of sick joke. It's just unbelievable. They don't give a stuff about the parents who lose otherwise normal children to the lure of part-time Police work. Policemen are totally unpredictable, and their potential for harm is very great."

Serious Police Crime

Mr Juan Gramm, who is chairman of the North London All Coppers Are Bastards League, told MPs that such a move to legitimise weekend Police work would send out exactly the wrong message to school children who may be considering a move into the Police Force.

"It is a slippery slope. They start with the cubs and the scouts, then before you know it, they have progressed to the Special Constabulary, and before you know it, they are full blown Policemen. We have to take action to stop this now. You only have to witness the pain the families of these Policemen go through. Children should be warned of the dangers, not given confusing and conflicting messages that Police work can be OK."

Whatever the conclusion of the Parliamentary review, it is clear, that people will continue to join the Police force, and the current debate can only help in bringing the real issues to the fore.Whether or not someone can be a Policeman at the weekends and not let the effects spill over the working week is open for debate and an issue that is like rumble on for some time.

When I visit the aquarium, the same thought keeps running through my mind;
Leemmmooonnn, Buuttteerrr, MMMmmmmmm good!
New You are too kind.
Maybe I'll have to modify my rule, 'if it ain't 2 years old, it's too buggy to use'. I'll see what NS/Moz incarnation will run, by 2001 "stds" and also import the MAIL without major horrors. Now then.. how to erase all traces in the *&($%&* Registry. Ugh.

Ah yes - the dread Police syndrome.. let me make a Scout out of him by 5, and by 12 we'll have him itchin to get a gig on Homicide Squad.

It's nice that the older druggies get to vote on their surveillance, though. Count on the Brits to bring a little balance to such things (We can't even get the po-lice to act on the Prop 215 measure in CA: legalizing grass for pain control / MD Rx and such. It offends Cop Morality.)

Ashton
Kill a Puritan for Buddha AG
New Will you PLEASE
ditch that browser? It's irrecoverably broken.

Get Mozilla.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New C'mon.. I dumped NS 3.04 early this year!
And my car is 24.5 years old. Why would I ditch a nominally operative browser before it's worn out ?

(Oh - you mean.. it is. I see.)
But will the new improved Mozilla/NS >import the mail< virgo intacta ? Hey - I've read some of the little oddity reports, esp. re the Mozilla builds and I still haven't the foggiest: which one won't trash glass-fragile 98SE. And still handle the Shockwave plug-in for playing The *Day-O Taliban Song :-)

* necessary at least weekly, to avert OD-ing on terrorist ads.

Anyway.. uninstalling crap from the Registry (never a really clean deal) is my main reason for doing that as rarely as possible. I also rarely have std. Windoze problems. Coincidence?

{sigh}
Which Mozilla version is likely to welcome my mail files and do least awfulness to 98SE-lite? I concede that your opinion is based on experience of a lot that sucks, some that doesn't - and mine is about Owl entrails and laissez-faire.. :-)

Ashton
Thanks for the hint, scary as it is..
Hmm - wonder what that site didn't like, though :(
New Mozilla
Is really good.

Go to [link|http://www.mozilla.org|their website] and grab the latest stable build (0.9.6). Its a piece of cake to install, and the shockwave plugin. It will import your NS mail and all your bookmarks, too.
-----
Steve
Expand Edited by Steve Lowe Nov. 27, 2001, 09:45:20 PM EST
New Netscape
Netscape version 3.x was reasonably stable and quick, but lacks support for "features" used on many websites these days.

Nutscrape 4.x is simply, as Peter would say, shite (or as CRC would say "a fucking piece of unforgiveable shit"). It's buggy as hell (more so on some platforms than others). It doesn't support standards properly (notably CSS, others to boot). It breaks many websites, even when the sites are properly designed.

It's not a matter of a 2.5 year old (or fifteen year old) classic car. You've got the original Edsel of web browsers. It's the Ford Pinto, broken on arrival. The Daihatsu. A Fiat. Peugot, nadir of French engineering. Corvair: unsafe at any speed. We're not talking Mercedes Benz, BMW, Bentley, certainly not the Rolls. It's not even a VW Bug: termpermental, but serviceable.

Seriously, Ash, there's better browsers (hell, w3m's better), not to mention a whole 'nother better OS. Both can be had for free. Mozilla, [link|http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/|K-Meleon] (Gecko-based browser on Win32), and others. Do yourself a serious favor. And recognize the limitations of your tools.

And, yes, your mail should be just fine. Good old mbox format, crufty but workable. None of this lock-your-ass-in-a-jar MSFT crap.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
Expand Edited by kmself Nov. 27, 2001, 10:05:13 PM EST
New Huh.. Daihatsu, Pinto (!)__*THAT* Bad?____ urp.
I'm convinced. Already like the site prose for Mozilla 0.9.6. (Thanks, Steve!) and the no-BS also at K-Meleon. Glad to hear about the mail format. (Old & tested mail.. is just fine.) What a relief: they speak English! and no dancing otters.

Looks as if I can just install either, leave 4.5 to moulder a bit before uninstall. Will look a bit for, ease of optional (2 mail source / 2 ISP) setups, as I'm about to ditch Earthlink - an involuntary case of a Shark eating my tiny ISP, jps.net. Will go with a local guy just down the road vs Any Corp. on the make for a new monopoly.. natch.

May even get around to Opera; don't mind paying for good work - but my impression is.. of needing lots of initial setup. Choice is good, but - only after I care.

Any capsule comparison of Moz 096 / K-Meleon welcome but not vital. Still have to read both pitches, of course. And yes, I can't put off getting the box for 'that other OS' much longer. Need switch from analog electronics into /\\ brain symbol conversion, anyway = use it or lose it.

Browser .. then OS. Then Carter-Copter. Screw Osama!

Thanks for prod(s),
Ashton the \ufffdSlothful
New Since you mentioned Opera...
Opera is slightly easier to install than Mozilla. It's true that you may want to spend a little time in the Preferences box tinkering, but that is true of any browser. The biggest hurdle is that it carries a rather different GUI than NS, though the defaults in more recent versions are marginally less radical than earlier ones. You may like the differences, you may not. But, of course, you will never know if you don't try it. :-)

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New shakes my head at Opera dunderheads
I bought Opera (3.5, I think) but when I went to upgrade to the next version, ordering didn't work and the Email I sent about trying to upgrade got me a response of essentially "The process works, what are you complaining about?"

Okey dokey, you don't want me, fine.

Fine browser. I loved it. I bought it. But, from the Email exchange I had, ... nevermind. Suffice to say I currently find Mozilla just fine and am not considering Opera as an alternative now or ever.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Curious.
Never had that problem, nor any like it. Ah well. *shrug*

Wade.

New And.. a nice 'ad' for same, from our
(fortunately) Murican-syntax impaired UK cousins, too -

[link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23166.html|Opera expanding]

It's on my short list to try..

A.
New Nice article.

The evils of drugs^H^H^H^H^H police work - (Silverlock) - (13)
         No workee - (Ashton) - (12)
             A cut and paste job just for Ashton - (Silverlock) - (1)
                 You are too kind. - (Ashton)
             Will you PLEASE - (pwhysall) - (9)
                 C'mon.. I dumped NS 3.04 early this year! - (Ashton) - (8)
                     Mozilla - (Steve Lowe)
                     Netscape - (kmself) - (6)
                         Huh.. Daihatsu, Pinto (!)__*THAT* Bad?____ urp. - (Ashton) - (5)
                             Since you mentioned Opera... - (static) - (4)
                                 shakes my head at Opera dunderheads - (wharris2) - (1)
                                     Curious. - (static)
                                 And.. a nice 'ad' for same, from our - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     Nice article. -NT - (static)

And even if we were to live in that alternate universe where they would be right, they'd still be wrong.
126 ms