IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Windows/Linux security showdown.
[link|http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002182315_security17.html|Windows] wins.

They compared Windows Server 2003 and Red Hat Enterprise Server 3 running databases, scripting engines and Web servers (Microsoft's on one, the open source Apache on the other).

Their criteria included the number of reported vulnerabilities and their severity, as well as the number of patches issued and days of risk \ufffd the period from when a vulnerability is first reported to when a patch is issued.

On average, the Windows setup had just over 30 days of risk versus 71 days for the Red Hat setup, their study found.

What is wrong with this picture?
-----------------------------------------
"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
-- H. L. Mencken
New What does this mean:

On average, the Windows setup had just over 30 days of risk versus 71 days for the Red Hat setup, their study found

It seems they are referring to vulnerabilities announced to patch release.

Crock'o'shit.

As before, it did not rate the vulnerability severity. When Linux vulnerabilities are announced, it is typically from people trolling through the source and noticing some that COULD be leveraged. Sometime a proof follows, sometimes not.

When MS vulnerabilities are announced, it is typically from people noticing that people already are breaking into their systems, which means it has been vulnerable FAR longer, they just don't want to admit it.

Or have I misread their core premise?
New Until they publish the report we don't know.
The presentation was a preview of a report they plan to issue in 30 days.
-----------------------------------------
"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
-- H. L. Mencken
New In the same paper: "Clarke rips Microsoft over security" (new thread)
Created as new thread #195194 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=195194|In the same paper: "Clarke rips Microsoft over security"]

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
     Windows/Linux security showdown. - (Silverlock) - (3)
         What does this mean: - (broomberg) - (1)
             Until they publish the report we don't know. - (Silverlock)
         In the same paper: "Clarke rips Microsoft over security" (new thread) - (tuberculosis)

When things get creepy... blame it on the Boogie!
35 ms