IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I did find that interesting. One major complaint down.
The fact that it is ugly isn't a new complaint. Java generally is ugly, I expect that.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New You'll find this interesting too - Bistro
[link|http://bistro.sourceforge.net/overview.htm|http://bistro.source....net/overview.htm]

Its a preprocessor that provides smalltalk-ish syntax and capabilities on top of Java. It generates inner classes for the closures. Its been around for at least 5 years. More of a proof of concept than a practical language - there's no debugger support or anything. But the paper is interesting.

Also, FWIW, Squeak doesn't have proper closures out of the box - it has BlockContext's instead which also don't do a good job of hanging onto local variables properly (there is a workaround you can use but you have to send the thing a message fixTemps to ask it to hang onto the temp vars).

There is a closure implementation done for Squeak, its waiting to be adopted. I think it will end up in there eventually.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
     OT: Inner/outer classes. - (pwhysall) - (30)
         Simple explanation: - (admin)
         Wheras an "outer" class is just an ordinary class. -NT - (CRConrad)
         There's some other types as well - (ChrisR)
         Also how Java fakes friendship - (tuberculosis)
         Inner class is declared inside another class - (Arkadiy)
         Thanks all - (pwhysall) - (24)
             Re: Thanks all - (systems) - (23)
                 You misunderstand, on at least one issue: - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     No, they can be used as factories as well. - (admin)
                 s/callbacks/delegates/g - (ChrisR) - (3)
                     Yep, one of the uglier useful things in Java. :-P -NT - (admin)
                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (drewk)
                     Great - another perfectly good term hijacked and hosed (new thread) - (tuberculosis)
                 You can't do #3 - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                     For most uses... - (admin) - (2)
                         I did find that interesting. One major complaint down. - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             You'll find this interesting too - Bistro - (tuberculosis)
                 They sorta stink as closures - (Arkadiy) - (12)
                     You need Jim Weirich's... - (ChrisR) - (11)
                         Without being rude... - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             A recursive anonymous function... - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                 Is it just interesting, or is it useful? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     Well, in Java it's pretty useless. -NT - (ChrisR)
                                     It's a pretty basic feature found in functional languages - (jake123)
                         Re: You need Jim Weirich's... - (JimWeirich) - (5)
                             I've just followed the first step of execution - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                 I understand it! - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                     Read it out loud - (drewk) - (1)
                                         I detect glazed over eyes - (ben_tilly)
                                     This was as brilliant an explanation as I've ever seen - (Arkadiy)

Following the ASCII standard since 2001.
50 ms