IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's just business as usual... their style
This is evidently their proferred style of doing things. First you bitch that we are interfering with their cultural social styles, now you bitch that we allow them to behave in their normal mode.

Your're a little hard to please, ya know?
New The problem is...
in that kind of anarchic society it will be very easy for terrorists to once again come in and set up shop. What was the point of this whole war if in 2 years Afghanistan is again ruled by warlords who allow terrorists sanctuary there?
New Which is why . .
. . we're going to have to stay involved - and listen to "world opinion" whining about how we're "intefering with Afghan internal affairs" for the next decade or so.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Doesn't look like it so far
The US is doing nothing to establish order in the country right now. Basically the warlords have already taken over there fiefdoms. So far, the US has taken a very hands off approach and is looking for Muslim peacekeeping troops to come in.
New You're totally omitting
The UN meetings going on in Germany right now. The purpose of which is to establish the framework for an Afghan government going forward.
-----
Steve
New Except ...
The article specifically stated that the warlords on the ground aren't even bothering to go, and therefore the meeting in Germany which has not yet taken place looks to be stillborn.

[link|http://www.msnbc.com/news/662674.asp|Warlord Nation]
"Many key warlords are so busy consolidating their gains at home that they won't be attending Tuesday\ufffds meeting in Bonn, which is intended to lay the interim groundwork for forming a badly needed multiethnic government. The Northern Alliance controlling Kabul will have some 13 out of 28 delegates, while the former king Zahir Shah\ufffds party will have nine, most of them Pashtun exiles. The two other groups at the conference will have only three members each, almost all of them exiles as well: Shiites and Pashtuns, including Pir Syed Ahmad Galani's "Gucci Muj" (so-named for their sartorial excess after years of exile in Paris). "It's stacking up as a meeting between the Northern Alliance and expatriate Pashtuns," says Haq-qani. \ufffdBut the Pashtuns controlling the ground in Afghanistan, the new warlords and the Taliban, simply won\ufffdt be represented."
New Last time someone tried to do something
... their head was handed down to them after a million of civilian deaths. Face it, they just don't like foreiners down there.
New Give 'US' a break, bluke!
It is surely encouraging that we are showing suficient restraint as NOT to - immediately \ufffd-manage evrything via thousands of ground troops: utterly unfitted for 'peace maintenance' - and probably not Two amongst them! fluent in local dialects anyway.

Yes, lots of bad stuff (and typical stuff for this motley group) is nascent - but *at least* we are no longer opperating under such Stupid illusions as:

We'll Make it All Well (Or Else). One thing is certain IMhO: NoOne Knows what the best next steps ought to be - obviously we don't know how/where the previous honchos have gone to ground and.. with what plans for later mischief.

One day at a time.. The CPAs can come much later.

Ashton

New You're sounding like Grygus
And in this case I agree.

We're being chastised for not doing anything right now, and if we had done something, I'm sure we'd be under the gun for putting 'our' plan in place.

As AScott pointed out, the meetings in Bonn don't appear to be going well, but hey, at least they're meeting! That fact alone seems like progress to me.
-----
Steve
New Ditto...
I do think that we have a "plan"... That plan basically states, "we don't want control of this particular piece of real estate, but we don't want terrorists to take it back..." We'll be there for many years to come, either alone, or more probably with the UN. We may allow tyrants to rule for a short while, but I think we owe it to ourselves and to the people of Afghanistan to at least show them that beer commercials and football beat public stonings...
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around, pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday..."

P. Townshend

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones
New UN wimping out again?
Many Muslim nations want to "help". Perhaps we should let them, but give a few basic rules, such as freedom of political speech for all Afghanis. Enforcing it is another matter.

The problem is... - (bluke) - (9)
                 Which is why . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                     Doesn't look like it so far - (bluke) - (7)
                         You're totally omitting - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                             Except ... - (bluke)
                         Last time someone tried to do something - (Arkadiy)
                         Give 'US' a break, bluke! - (Ashton) - (3)
                             You're sounding like Grygus - (Steve Lowe)
                             Ditto... - (screamer) - (1)
                                 UN wimping out again? - (tablizer)

It's administration policy.
48 ms