IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: 4 year old?
I don't think it's as bad as other shooter games like Half life 2 or Doom 3 for kids since it's more like Star Wars.
New I don't play Doom 3 and I'm 43.
Amazon says this in it's listing for Doom 3:

ESRB Rating: Mature (Content suitable for ages 17 or older.)

Halo 2 has the same rating.

Your 4 year old grandson really plays it?!? As Spice said, something's wrong with this picture.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Nope, my 7yo girl likes to play grand theft auto san andreas
and has a clear understanding of play vs life. In fact the other day she asked me if when I got rich could we get a limo and I said sure. Can we get a slave too? No honey you cant own people, my other son replied "she means a butler"

Violent games is interactive cartoons ala road runner and bugs bunny.
regards,
daemon
I love her dearly, far beyond any creature I've ever known, and I can prove it, for never once in almost seventy years of married life have I taken her by the throat. Mind you, it's been a near thing once or twice.
George Macdonald Frasier
Clearwater highschool marching band [link|http://www.chstornadoband.org/|http://www.chstornadoband.org/]
New Tom and Jerry creeped me out.
They were so very violent - almost for the sake of violence. The RoadRunner cartoons weren't like that. But in either case, in cartoons the characters get up and play another day. AFAIK, they don't in these games. In most games I've seen, there are no significant consequences for smashing up your car or blasting the wrong person.

It's not a 1:1 causal thing, but children and young adults are influenced by the things they see and experience. Kids have to be taught how to become bullies and criminals, it seems to me.

I don't know anything about GTA-SA, so I can't really comment on it. But I personally take the ratings under serious consideration when getting games for friend's kids.

There are always exceptions, of course. Luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yup - that's why "Itchy and Scratchy" hits home so good.
New Exactly. I&S is so funny because they're T&J^3.
I think it's hilarious because it's so over the top, but I think they're trying to argue against violent cartoons too (in a strange way).

I like the fact that the Simpsons almost always shows Bart and Lisa's reaction when Itchy and Scratch is on. It gives me a slightly creepy feeling to see the kids having such a good time watching such gruesome violence. I can't help but feel they're trying to let people know that children are affected by such things.

Scratchy always comes back, so that mitigates it a little.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Feb. 3, 2005, 08:26:58 AM EST
New Re: I don't play Doom 3 and I'm 43.
I am retired (58) and I play Halo 2 with him almost every day and the US Army/Marines would love to see his leadership skills . He plays in Legendary mode and is much better than me at staying alive.
[link|http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7256/Army-Runs-Out-of-Halo-2/|http://news.teamxbox...ns-Out-of-Halo-2/]
     Microsoft Cleans Up With Halo 2 - (linuxuser) - (21)
         Hola - (pwhysall) - (1)
             It appears to be. - (folkert)
         yup, looks like MS bought the rights to another winner - (Steven A S) - (18)
             I've heard... - (inthane-chan) - (17)
                 Halo 2 is literal CRAP. - (folkert) - (16)
                     Re: Halo 2 is literal CRAP. - (linuxuser) - (15)
                         Not a bot - (jake123)
                         a 4 year old is playing this game? - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                             You mean like... - (Yendor) - (3)
                                 Er... - (admin) - (2)
                                     Yer right. - (Yendor) - (1)
                                         Ob :listenhere yendor -NT - (admin)
                         4 year old? - (broomberg) - (7)
                             Re: 4 year old? - (linuxuser) - (6)
                                 I don't play Doom 3 and I'm 43. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                     Nope, my 7yo girl likes to play grand theft auto san andreas - (daemon) - (3)
                                         Tom and Jerry creeped me out. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             Yup - that's why "Itchy and Scratchy" hits home so good. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                 Exactly. I&S is so funny because they're T&J^3. - (Another Scott)
                                     Re: I don't play Doom 3 and I'm 43. - (linuxuser)
                         That's no denominator of quality. - (pwhysall)

Nothing like the smell of Nadsat in the morning!
64 ms