IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Anybody tried Evolution as Outlook replacement?
Specifically interested in calendar capabilities as everyone can do the email bit - but being able to schedule meetings, view other people's schedules and book resources is the part that nobody seems to get working.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New The guys downstairs have it working.
Apparently they had to go whole hog and use the Exchange transport as well instead of IMAP + extras. I haven't tried it yet myself.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Full instructions for how to do it would be interesting
I have some co-workers who're seriously annoyed at how poorly exchange plays with everything else. Something about LDAP working, then stopping, then working when you change something, then breaking. Right now it is broken.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New The exchange connector... find compile it and use it.
I know several people able to get everything they wanted out of Evo/Exchange.

Novell has made it just work.

Debiab has it already compiled and working in Sid (maybe Sarge as well)

Scott, you should really just install the EVO and the connector and try it.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

[link|http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=134485&cid=11233230|"Microsoft Security" is an even better oxymoron than "Miltary Intelligence"]
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
New I have done that.
Scott, you should really just install the EVO and the connector and try it.
I did that. It didn't "just work". In fact, it "just crashed". Another guy here had the same experience.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Interesting.
I have a VMWare session that I play around with various distros in - currently using Ubuntu, and it did "just work" for me. The one trick was that you had to point it at the Outlook Web Access point IIRC, NOT the actual exchange server. The connector appears to be a web scraper, but I could be wrong.
"Here at Ortillery Command we have at our disposal hundred megawatt laser beams, mach 20 titanium rods and guided thermonuclear bombs. Some people say we think that we're God. We're not God. We just borrowed his 'SMITE' button for our fire control system."
New Grrr - that's not going to work
we don't run the web app.

I'm looking at it as the last thing keeping me from tossing my lame wintel laptop out the window and replacing it with an iBook.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Get everyone on iCal?
New Doesn't seem to be good at seeing other people's scheds
This culture is all about meetings. We live and die by our outlook calendars and major domo lists. If they removed all the phones tomorrow, nobody would notice.

So to be effective, exchange calendaring and scheduling is key.

I don't think iCal cuts it. Wish it were not so.

Anybody tried Evolution as Outlook replacement? - (tuberculosis) - (8)
         The guys downstairs have it working. - (admin) - (1)
             Full instructions for how to do it would be interesting - (ben_tilly)
         The exchange connector... find compile it and use it. - (folkert) - (5)
             I have done that. - (admin) - (4)
                 Interesting. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                     Grrr - that's not going to work - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                         Get everyone on iCal? -NT - (FuManChu) - (1)
                             Doesn't seem to be good at seeing other people's scheds - (tuberculosis)

G'day, mate, throw another Mozart on the harpsichord!
131 ms