IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Gosling - Father of Java - stopped in to speak today
Or as I prefer to think of him - the motherfucker of Java.

He rambled for an hour. If there was a theme at all it was "Java is now everywhere" and "the world is really complex".

Apparently, he has nothing of relevance left to say.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."     --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."     --George W. Bush
New ICROFLRPD
Gosling - Father of Java.
Or as I prefer to think of him - the motherfucker of Java.
New I get the impression...
... that there are some good ideas in Java. Unfortunately, they are mostly buried by the bad ideas.

Then, too, many (most?) programming languages would have that fault to differing extents. Or, as a book I have on SNOBOL puts it, we love our favourite languages because of their faults, not in spite of them. :-)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New I've always thought the best thing Java brought to the table
was the ability to compile individual classes to byte code in seperate files - i.e. the class file format.
New I don't see why that's good
And its not new or anything.

Source->Compiler->Object File->Linker->Shared Library isn't exactly a new thing.

Objective C makes extensive use of shared libraries to do dynamic loading and has for at least 15 years.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Innovation
Not to say that it hadn't been thought of or implemented before, but I do think that the seperation of classes into compilable units is the best thing java has going for it, from a language standpoint.
New Wow - that's really sad if that's the best thing

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New One key aspect is the programmer's history....
if you're coming from a C++ background, Java's not too bad....

if you're coming from a smalltalk background....
New I suppose minimum wage looks good to a slave too

New Just so you know
I ran that one by some of the classmates. They loved it.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
     Gosling - Father of Java - stopped in to speak today - (tuberculosis) - (9)
         ICROFLRPD - (FuManChu)
         I get the impression... - (static) - (6)
             I've always thought the best thing Java brought to the table - (ChrisR) - (3)
                 I don't see why that's good - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                     Innovation - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         Wow - that's really sad if that's the best thing -NT - (tuberculosis)
             One key aspect is the programmer's history.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                 I suppose minimum wage looks good to a slave too -NT - (tuberculosis)
         Just so you know - (jake123)

No. Just no. Not a potential no, a solid diamond-hard no. Like, seriously Chuck Norris testicles-hard no.
137 ms