IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dude, you are rude. Grow some people skills
So your answer reflected both ignorance of what kinds of issues concurrent applications hit under load, and also ignorance of the fact that transactions are not created equal.

I didn't answer anything. I only asked questions.

Of course you have to bring in or have transaction experts on hand for heavy-duty issues. However, they tend to only have to focus a handful of bottleneck areas rather than every transaction.
You said, Just use databases and transactions. Fixed! This was in response to a post suggesting that programmers need to learn to deal with concurrency.

The problem is that this is not enough in real applications! You can wave the magic wand of databases and transactions, but you haven't replaced the need to understand how transactions work.

And, contrary to what you claim, it is stupid to just say, "OK, so now we need concurrency experts." It is easier to understand concurrency issues than it is to learn a new application. Therefore if concurrency matters, it is more efficient to make sure that your programmers understand concurrency than it is to try to hire an expert after the fact to solve the problem. This goes doubly because bad application design can easily make scalability impossible, and programmers who do not understand concurrency issues have no idea when they are taking a dangerous path.

Put another way, it can be faster and cheaper to hire competent people in the first place than it is to hire incompetents then hire competent people to fix the crap that the incompetents produce.

Regards,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Concurrency: the race is on - (FuManChu) - (40)
         Interesting, but ... - (Another Scott) - (4)
             I think he's talking to shrinkwrappers - (FuManChu)
             I'd criticize it differently - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                 That's true for servers, less so for workstations - (drewk) - (1)
                     True... - (ben_tilly)
         Favorite quote - (drewk) - (1)
             Speaking of quotes... (new thread) - (folkert)
         Just use databases and transactions. Fixed! -NT - (tablizer) - (32)
             Yes and no... - (Simon_Jester)
             And again, you demonstrate yourself to be wrong - (ben_tilly) - (30)
                 Up with people - (FuManChu) - (24)
                     No connection - (ben_tilly) - (23)
                         Questions - (tablizer) - (22)
                             Don't try to solve the problem - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                 Dude, you are rude. Grow some people skills - (tablizer) - (4)
                                     This was one of your most hilarious posts ever, Bryce. -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                         I am learning NOT to flame back. Me grow up........I think -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                                             A: Doubt it. B: Still, YOU calling SOMEONE ELSE rude=>funnee -NT - (CRConrad)
                                     Yes, you did answer something - (ben_tilly)
                                 lock and load - (cforde) - (1)
                                     re: lock and load - (tablizer)
                             Question for you - (drewk) - (13)
                                 All the damn time - (broomberg) - (9)
                                     No hints from the peanut gallery - (drewk) - (8)
                                         Give him the benefit - (broomberg) - (7)
                                             Fairy nuff - (drewk) - (6)
                                                 Barry's right; overnormalization is 1 of Bryce's hobbyhorses -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                     Huh? What did I over-normalize? -NT - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                         It means the opposite of what you seem to think it does. HTH -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                             Okay then, what did I UNDER-normalize? - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                 SIGH... "A hobby-horse" means, something you like to... - (CRConrad)
                                                 Note: in this case it really is a bad idea - (ben_tilly)
                                 Re: Question for you - (tablizer) - (2)
                                     Also called trade-offs. - (static) - (1)
                                         re: Also called trade-offs - (tablizer)
                 Ah yes, the Upperson procedure - (tuberculosis)
                 Guilty until proven innocent? -NT - (tablizer) - (3)
                     No, you said something stupid - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         You don't seem to disagree anywhere - (tablizer) - (1)
                             I disagree with, "Fixed!" - (ben_tilly)

Who?
281 ms