IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Guilty until proven innocent?

I described a real-world case where it was not to demonstrate the point.

You were "Presumed innocent until proven guilty", but the proof was pretty easy to produce.

As for my parting comment about whether you had relevant experience, that is an educated guess at best, which you could easily confirm or deny. However I should point out that most programmers don't have the kind of experience that I described, so it is no insult to suggest that you don't either. (Neither did I until I moved to LA.)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New You don't seem to disagree anywhere
"Just use transactions" is not sufficient to solve concurrency problems under load.

You didn't recommend going away from transactions anywhere that I saw, just tuning them. Thus, you seem to agree with me.

As for my parting comment about whether you had relevant experience, that is an educated guess at best, which you could easily confirm or deny.

I have worked on heavy-transaction systems. But, I will admit that most of my projects tend to be management information and decision support systems rather than high-volume transactions.
While databases and transactions help with a broad range of concurrency issues (but not all - there are cases where you wouldn't want to use them), they are not a pancea that solves all of your problems. It would be nice if the world was that simple, but it isn't.

Incidentally what would you call "heavy load"? For instance what rate of transactions would that be? 10s per hour? 100s per hour? 1000s per hour, please give us a ballpark.

Thanks,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Concurrency: the race is on - (FuManChu) - (40)
         Interesting, but ... - (Another Scott) - (4)
             I think he's talking to shrinkwrappers - (FuManChu)
             I'd criticize it differently - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                 That's true for servers, less so for workstations - (drewk) - (1)
                     True... - (ben_tilly)
         Favorite quote - (drewk) - (1)
             Speaking of quotes... (new thread) - (folkert)
         Just use databases and transactions. Fixed! -NT - (tablizer) - (32)
             Yes and no... - (Simon_Jester)
             And again, you demonstrate yourself to be wrong - (ben_tilly) - (30)
                 Up with people - (FuManChu) - (24)
                     No connection - (ben_tilly) - (23)
                         Questions - (tablizer) - (22)
                             Don't try to solve the problem - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                 Dude, you are rude. Grow some people skills - (tablizer) - (4)
                                     This was one of your most hilarious posts ever, Bryce. -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                         I am learning NOT to flame back. Me grow up........I think -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                                             A: Doubt it. B: Still, YOU calling SOMEONE ELSE rude=>funnee -NT - (CRConrad)
                                     Yes, you did answer something - (ben_tilly)
                                 lock and load - (cforde) - (1)
                                     re: lock and load - (tablizer)
                             Question for you - (drewk) - (13)
                                 All the damn time - (broomberg) - (9)
                                     No hints from the peanut gallery - (drewk) - (8)
                                         Give him the benefit - (broomberg) - (7)
                                             Fairy nuff - (drewk) - (6)
                                                 Barry's right; overnormalization is 1 of Bryce's hobbyhorses -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                     Huh? What did I over-normalize? -NT - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                         It means the opposite of what you seem to think it does. HTH -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                             Okay then, what did I UNDER-normalize? - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                 SIGH... "A hobby-horse" means, something you like to... - (CRConrad)
                                                 Note: in this case it really is a bad idea - (ben_tilly)
                                 Re: Question for you - (tablizer) - (2)
                                     Also called trade-offs. - (static) - (1)
                                         re: Also called trade-offs - (tablizer)
                 Ah yes, the Upperson procedure - (tuberculosis)
                 Guilty until proven innocent? -NT - (tablizer) - (3)
                     No, you said something stupid - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         You don't seem to disagree anywhere - (tablizer) - (1)
                             I disagree with, "Fixed!" - (ben_tilly)

I KNOW I shouldn’t think about it, I’ll scare myself to death but after seventeen hours in the air, I can’t get the worst case scenario out of my head.

No, not a plane crash. I’m convinced that I am breathing more farts than air.
74 ms