IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Was not able to run chkdsk /f at all!
I booted off of the four disks, and it asked me for the administrators password to get into the recovery. Which I entered, and it told me it was the wrong password. I wrote the sucker down so I would not forget it. Something was fried in the registry for sure.

I could not get to a command prompt to run chkdsk /f, so my only option was to reinstall the OS and pray that it didn't destroy any of the data.

My other user accounts where there, same passwords, same network configuration, Windows 2000 Server must have done an "Upgrade" install and preserved the registry. The only password I didn't have was to the "Admin" account, of which I was able to reset it from one of my other accounts with admin access. When I went to reinstall the OS, it asked me if I wanted to try and repair the current version on the hard drive and I hit yes. I think that was the key. The normal repair seems to want to ask for the admin password, and as I said the password I had set for the admin account was not working anymore.
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New Install sets
With HDD as large as they are now, it makes sense to maintain install sets - just copy the CD to your HDD. I have a directory called Install and under that are all my bits and bobs.
qts
New That is very much what I am doing
usually all the drivers get kept under an C:\\INSTALL or C:\\DRIVERS directory and get installed from there. That way if someone loses the install CD, they can pull the files from that directory off of their hard drive. That is, unless they deleted it to save room? :(

But it does come in handy to copy the /WIN98/ directory from the CD to the hard drive C:\\INSTALL\\WIN98\\ because sometimes the OS does not detect the CD-ROM after a reboot because it doesn't have the Motherboard IDE controller set up yet, D'oh! It is easier then to pull the files from the hard drive. Either that or set up a DOS CD-ROM driver and then pull it from there.

I think some big name computer companies use c:\\windows\\options\\ to store their cab files, driver files, etc on the hard drive.
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
     DOA Windows 2000 Server hard drive - (orion) - (17)
         2000 is Plug-and-Pray . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
             Eh? - (pwhysall) - (10)
                 I presume 2000 . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                     I see. - (pwhysall) - (8)
                         I have to do a lot of reinstalls . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                             Well, W2K improves one thing - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                 MSI Entries - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                     Which is why - (orion) - (4)
                                         CDs have legs - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                             Which is why we have an IS-Library at work - (orion) - (2)
                                                 Incidentally, were did the NT CDs you are installing at... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                     You want the truth? - (orion)
         Have you actually run chkdsk /f? - (pwhysall) - (4)
             I think you're on the right track. - (Another Scott)
             Was not able to run chkdsk /f at all! - (orion) - (2)
                 Install sets - (qstephens) - (1)
                     That is very much what I am doing - (orion)