IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A-yup.
I wish they'd actually declare war - Congress's initial "approval" of the President's actions made some strong references to the "War Powers" act (I don't have a link, but I remember reading it to my roommate at work - ex Special Forces Army type, and we both looked at each other and said "War powers" at the same time, then broke down laughing...) - I just wish they had the cojones to back it up with some real action...

Y'see, if Pres. Shrub declared War, then there would be a constitutional ground for most of the crap that Asscroft is pulling. As it is, he's inventing most of his "powers" on the grounds that nobody is standing up against him taking these powers - and he's grabbing on other fronts as well. Anybody notice the presidential papers rules that got totally overriden this morning? Think maybe Pappy Bush had anything to do with it? I don't have any proof, but I've got a VERY strong feeling...
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Declare war against whom/what?
Countries can only legally declare war against other countries, AFAIK. What country should the Congress have declared war against?

[link|http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:H.J.RES.64:|Here's] the House copy of the Joint Authorization for Use of Military Force:

JOINT RESOLUTION

To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the recent attacks launched against the United States.

Whereas on September 11, 2001, acts of treacherous violence were committed against the United States and its citizens;

Whereas such acts render it both necessary and appropriate that the United States exercise its rights to self-defense and to protect United States
citizens both at home and abroad;

Whereas in light of the threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States posed by these grave acts of violence;

Whereas such acts continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States; and

Whereas the President has authority under the Constitution to take action to deter and prevent acts of international terrorism against the United
States: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This joint resolution may be cited as the `Authorization for Use of Military Force'.

SEC. 2. AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES.

(a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.

(b) WAR POWERS RESOLUTION REQUIREMENTS-

(1) SPECIFIC STATUTORY AUTHORIZATION- Consistent with section 8(a)(1) of the War Powers Resolution, the Congress declares that this section is intended to constitute specific statutory authorization within the meaning of section 5(b) of the War Powers Resolution.

(2) APPLICABILITY OF OTHER REQUIREMENTS- Nothing in this resolution supercedes any requirement of the War Powers Resolution.

I wouldn't make too much of the war powers notice. The War Powers Act is law which covers Presidental war-making actions. They're simply explicitly mentioning that it's still active.

It seems to me that this joint resolution is close enough to a declaration of war for the constitutional requirements to be met as far as use of force goes. And it avoids the problems of an international legal declaration of war against a country or countries that we couldn't identify at the time.

On the civil-liberties issue, this resolution doesn't (it seems to me) address that, but AFAIK a declaration of war wouldn't necessarily either. See, e.g., [link|http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/japwar.html|the declaration of war against Japan].

Cheers,
Scott.
New Didn't know that.
But of course, in hindsight, it's perfectly clear to my half-awake brain, that of course, nations may only declare war on other nations. (Note: I've been getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night for the past TWO WEEKS, I am quite admittedly not running on all cylinders.)

This seems like a really bizzare limitation, since not all groups that we disagree with are necessarily nations, yet may require extraordinary resources to deal with. Wonder if there could be an "intermediate" category defined - of there existing an official "state of war" against a well-defined group or groups that pose a direct threat to the U.S., civilization, etc. - and with such, this gives us a blanket "sunset" for when provisions brought in to "deal" with the problem get kicked out, as opposed to our current "well, we want a bunch of new powers, so let's pretend they all get sunsetted, but then exempt the ones we really want..." method.

All provisions that don't get properly debated and discussed for their implications SHOULD be sunsetted. Yes, there are emergencies, and yes, it is often important to move quickly to handle those emergencies. We should also take care that our immediate reaction to those emergencies is followed up with some thought about the long-term implications of those short-term actions, and how best to actually deal with those issues in a way that is minimally damaging to our civil rights.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New "To the shores of Tripoli..."
Make time for some sleep. It's very important.

[link|http://www.cato.org/current/terrorism/pubs/dempsey-010925.html|Here's] a brief article from the Cato Institute about the current situation.

It wouldn't be the first time the United States has gone to war against non-state actors. In 1801, President Thomas Jefferson went to war against the Barbary pirates, who preyed upon European and American shipping in both Mediterranean and Atlantic waters. James Madison supported Jefferson's efforts, which proved successful by 1805.

Jefferson, unfortunately, operated without a formal declaration of war from Congress. He later admitted that he was "unauthorized by the Constitution, without the sanction of Congress, to go beyond the line of defense," and that it was the prerogative of Congress to authorize "measures of offense also." Lamentably, Congress last week sidestepped its duty to formally declare war and instead granted the president the authority "to use all necessary force."

Of course, formally declaring war would not mean that U.S. bombers must immediately launch air strikes or that the Marines must eventually conduct a full-scale land invasion. Rather, it would signify that a profound threshold has been crossed that there are certain things Americans absolutely will not tolerate happening to their fellow citizens.

He doesn't answer the question though of who they should have declared war against...

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Nov. 19, 2001, 02:09:16 PM EST
New Hmmm Cato Institute
I recall them from the days of the final shaming of HUAC, SISS into oblivion [for a while].

Prototypical "Right-Wing think tank" was their epithet then. An interesting dance in this link re Clinton's failure to support an Int'l Court.

That thought would have been heresy punishable by death - in HUAC days, a plea for (even rcognizing!) that perhaps, "there are any other Nations than Murica?" whose opinion might match: our Power.

This link a bit more reasonable - I see I haven't followed the morphing of Cato from [folks a lot like my G'mother] into a putative more-balanced Org..

If not too lazy, will try for Google about their history since the Good Ol'Days. Hell, Putin is our 'friend' now; who knows what Cato is (?)

A.
     Sen. Leahy has curious objections to military tribunals - (marlowe) - (26)
         I think - (JayMehaffey) - (15)
             Bush Sr. - (ChrisR) - (3)
                 And then.. the difference between - (Ashton)
                 What really concerns me... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                     I seem to recall - (Steve Lowe)
             Ah...but there's the rub. - (jb4) - (10)
                 A-yup. - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                     Declare war against whom/what? - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Didn't know that. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                             "To the shores of Tripoli..." - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Hmmm Cato Institute - (Ashton)
                 Re: Ah...but there's the rub. - (wharris2) - (4)
                     I have to agree... - (Simon_Jester)
                     Korea. VietNam. - (jb4) - (2)
                         War Powers - (ChrisR)
                         Parsing, parsing - (wharris2)
         My problem is the secret part,,, - (bepatient) - (3)
             Ya gotta stop that, Beep... - (jb4) - (2)
                 Don'tcha... - (bepatient) - (1)
                     More than you can POSSIBLY know! ;-) -NT - (jb4)
         You are (as usual) missing the point: - (CRConrad) - (5)
             The other point - (wharris2)
             Reciprocity -- what a concept! - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                 Only, in reverse... -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Golden Rule sucks - (drewk) - (1)
                     Or, do onto others before they do on to you! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

One shall be the number of Mojo Jojos in the world, and the number of Mojo Jojos in the world shall be one. Two Mojo Jojos is too many, and three is right out!
59 ms