IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks! ( was Re: Okay, asking for help)
Check your HotSync setup (right click on the HotSync icon on your system tray and click on the Setup... menu item). The conduits are probably set to "Handheld overwrite PC". You'll want it to be set to synchronize between the Zire and the PC.

Thanks, I found that setting and changed it to Desktop overwriting handheld. Now I can switch that back and forth right? Or do I have to set a default?

Always read the manual first. Even with the dire state of most manuals, sometimes you still find useful nuggets of information.

I did, actually, read the manual for Mobile-DB. It doesn't seem to give me much in the way of info on Mobile-DB-PC. I bought a $25.00 book to read on the entire thing, (on Palm Handhelds), but haven't had a chance to read an entire book yet. I've flipped through things but not been able to find what I was looking for, so I appreciate your help.

The manual for Mobile-DB should tell you how, but again, check what the HotSync conduits are setup to do.

I'm hoping that this fixed it, because the Mobile-DB-PC collects any database that I make on the Zire, but then if I hotsync it was deleting any entries I made in it. I think maybe the overwrite setting was the problem, I'll try again tomorrow, I'm not trying again tonight, it's almost 1 a.m.

The Palm Desktop should have options for importing data if you already have it in electronic form. Otherwise, just enter them into the Contacts part of the Palm Desktop and perform a HotSync (after making sure that HotSync is setup correctly).

I can do it in the Address Book, or something like that, but I want to actually import an Access Data Base, if possible. If not, then the next best thing is to create it on the PC in Mobile PC and transfer it to the Zire.

Thanks, this really helped!

Brenda

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
(Quote sent to me by a true friend, author unknown).
New Re: Thanks! ( was Re: Okay, asking for help)
Thanks, I found that setting and changed it to Desktop overwriting handheld. Now I can switch that back and forth right? Or do I have to set a default?

You might prefer to use the 3rd option instead. There should be 4 options altogether:
  • Handheld overwrite Desktop

• Desktop overwrite Handheld

• Synchronize Desktop with PC

• Do Nothing

If you keep the HotSync conduits' setting to "Desktop overwrite Handheld", any changes you made on the Zire will not be transferred to the PC. Everytime you perform a HotSync, the contents of your Zire will be wiped clean and it will be filled with what's on your PC instead. The "Synchronize Desktop and Handheld" option allows the changes you've made on the Zire be duplicated on the PC and at the same thing, changes you've made on the PC to be reflected on the Zire, keeping the Zire and the PC in sync with each other.

Of course, if you modified the same record on both the Zire and the PC and then perform a HotSync, you've got a problem - the usual default action is to create duplicate records. For example, you have an appointment record for Dec 28th. You modify the record on your Zire to update the location of the appointment. Without performing a HotSync after modifying the record on the Zire, you also modified the corresponding appointment record on the PC. You then perform a HotSync. The default result of this when you finally perform a HotSync operation, is the creation of another appointment record for Dec 28th - one for the modification you had made on the Zire and one for the modification you had made on the PC.

Hope you get the hang of using your Zire soon.

New Not giving me that option

You might prefer to use the 3rd option instead. There should be 4 options altogether:

• Synchronize Desktop with PC

• I don't seem to have 4 options on the system setting. I have it on every other one, but not system, so I'll just have to switch it back and forth when I'm wanting to load from the computer to the Zire, unless I figure out something else. I do have the do nothing option on the system setting though.

If you keep the HotSync conduits' setting to "Desktop overwrite Handheld", any changes you made on the Zire will not be transferred to the PC. Everytime you perform a HotSync, the contents of your Zire will be wiped clean and it will be filled with what's on your PC instead. The "Synchronize Desktop and Handheld" option allows the changes you've made on the Zire be duplicated on the PC and at the same thing, changes you've made on the PC to be reflected on the Zire, keeping the Zire and the PC in sync with each other.

I realize that, but it isn't an option on system. I'm not sure why it works everywhere else and not system, but I'm researching it. At least I can enter the stuff in my computer now and transfer it, and then set the setting back to handheld overwriting computer for that one. It doesn't seem to affect the Palm desktop part which has it's own synchronize setting.

Of course, if you modified the same record on both the Zire and the PC and then perform a HotSync, you've got a problem - the usual default action is to create duplicate records. For example, you have an appointment record for Dec 28th. You modify the record on your Zire to update the location of the appointment. Without performing a HotSync after modifying the record on the Zire, you also modified the corresponding appointment record on the PC. You then perform a HotSync. The default result of this when you finally perform a HotSync operation, is the creation of another appointment record for Dec 28th - one for the modification you had made on the Zire and one for the modification you had made on the PC.

I don't intend to modify the same record on both, once I get the database on the Zire, I intend to simply update it as needed.

Hope you get the hang of using your Zire soon.

I will, I'm smart and usually figure stuff out pretty good, plus I have this wonderful new book. I just wish I had an actual Mobile DB-PC manual, instead of just a Mobile-DB manual, because it's not explaining much about the PC part.

Brenda

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
    (Quote sent to me by a true friend, author unknown).
    New Mobile-DB doesn't have HotSync conduits
    Well, I came across [link|http://asp.silvercloudsoftware.com/handmark/pages/answer.jsp?id=489|this] while digging around the web. The summary is that there is no HotSync conduit provided for synchronizing Mobile-DB and Mobile-DB-PC. As such, all Mobile-DB *.pdb files are "synchronized" using the System conduit which is more limited as you have found. The link provides instruction on how to simulate a two-way synchronization if you so desire.

The Mobile-DB knowledgebase is [link|http://asp.silvercloudsoftware.com/handmark/pages/question_c.jsp?category_id=9&more=Y&qas=on&trees=on&docs=on?|here].
         Okay, asking for help - (Nightowl) - (5)
             Re: Okay, asking for help - (StevenYap) - (4)
                 Thanks! ( was Re: Okay, asking for help) - (Nightowl) - (3)
                     Re: Thanks! ( was Re: Okay, asking for help) - (StevenYap) - (2)
                         Not giving me that option - (Nightowl) - (1)
                             Mobile-DB doesn't have HotSync conduits - (StevenYap)

I could be totally wrong.
    45 ms