IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Just started working on a JSP/Struts project
I HATE IT!!

I haven't done much web development, most of my development lately has been either server side java code or web development using an in-house OO html framework. While the OO framework has it's drawbacks it was much simpler and straightforward to use. You built a page with widgets which knew how to emit their html. The developer never wrote a line of html.

If Struts/JSP is where web development is then the industry is in big trouble. It just sucks.
New Struts/JSP is already a few years old.
Look into [link|http://www.springframework.org|Spring].
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Unfortunately I don't make these decisions
I work at a big company and these decisions come down from up high. Believe me I would never have picked Struts/JSP.

Actually, Spring is more of a lightweight container solution not a UI solution.

There is no shortage of web UI frameworks to pick from. The problem is that there are so many so it is hard to know which ones will last. You certainly don't want to spend a year building an application based on a certain UI technology and then have that technology die.

The problem here is that you have a lot of people who have been doing JSP's (with a lot of Java code, etc.) for a while so anything that imposes some order is a step up.

I am not a big fan of web applications in general. Complex applications are just not meant for the web, the stateless nature of HTML, and all the roundtrips to the server make it really tough to wite a complex responsive application.
New I feel your pain.
We are doing exactly the same thing here and I hate it, too.
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
(Just trying to be accepted in the New America)
New Yep, stone aged technology
And this was created 7 years after WebObjects.

Its Shiite. And popular. Sort of like a certain desktop OS we know and despise.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."     --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."     --George W. Bush
New In defense...
Struts is merely a framework - a way of linking multiple pages and their back-end code together for rapid development.

Depending on the size of the project; Struts may not be the best solution.

However, if you have multiple groups responsible for developing sets of pages, it provides a fair coherent method of allowing these groups to interface with one another.

(But you're right, your developers have to know HTML. Frankly, I'd recommend a graphic artist to develop the "look" of the pages, then have your developers add in the java hooks (by converting static HTML to dynamic JSP pages).
     Just started working on a JSP/Struts project - (bluke) - (5)
         Struts/JSP is already a few years old. - (Yendor) - (1)
             Unfortunately I don't make these decisions - (bluke)
         I feel your pain. - (mmoffitt)
         Yep, stone aged technology - (tuberculosis)
         In defense... - (Simon_Jester)

Houston, we have a problem.
40 ms