IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How to stop having to manually reconnect to the airport?
I've been dragooned into helping my sister our with a computer problem.

She took her OS X laptop to a friend's, and it did not connect. He fiddled with it, and then when she got home, her laptop no longer saw her airport. When I was visiting her last night she asked for assistance in getting it to work. After a lot of fiddling (including resetting the airport station) I managed to get the laptop to connect to the airport. But now it won't stay connected. I think that an icon for network connectivity disappeared from the upper status bar. (Probably a result of something I did, but I didn't notice when it happened.)

I've told her how to get to network connect (select the apple, recent items, then network connect) and from there turn the airport station off and on, then networking will be on. But she shouldn't have to do this manually (and didn't before).

Any ideas how to keep her from having to do this? And what to tell her to have her avoid having this mess up again in the future? To complicate things she isn't exactly computer literate, and has no desire to fix that. Also I have no familiarity with OS X, and I do not have her laptop present. Basically I'll have to receive instructions, then make a trip to her house to try to fix it. I'd like this to work on the first try...

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Take up residence in the transit lounge? (sorry.)
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Re: How to stop having to manually reconnect to the airport?
A few pointers, maybe someone else can help with these:

1. Make sure under "Network Configuration", "Airport" is checked and at the top of the available network interfaces.

2. In System Preferences -> Network, click on the "Airport" tab, make sure that "By default Connect to " is set to "Automatic". This will help with the travelling option.

Hope this helps!

bob
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has-Margaret Mead
New which airport?
Question: is this the original AirPort base station, the one that looks a bit like a flying saucer, or the newer one that looks like a power supply?

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New It was the original
And the solution was to tell my sister that I was busy, get her regular tech person to solve the problem.

And the problem was solved! :-)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     How to stop having to manually reconnect to the airport? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
         Take up residence in the transit lounge? (sorry.) -NT - (Meerkat)
         Re: How to stop having to manually reconnect to the airport? - (flatboy2016)
         which airport? - (rcareaga) - (1)
             It was the original - (ben_tilly)

*gloat*
40 ms