IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Paper Organization
That's the way I've been doing it for a long time. However, the list has grown to over 1400 entries, and carrying around a notebook with a 64 page database has gotten tiresome. Not to mention that we print it on the Epson dot-matrix printer to save ink and expensive paper, and it takes a long long long time to print, and is not convenient to do often.

I was hoping to input the list into a handheld PDA of sorts and be able to access it and maybe hopefully, sort it by alphabet while out and about.

My friend Andrew said that it didn't have to have the capability of dealing with Word or Access, that I could save the Word or Access file as a txt file and transfer it to the PDA.

Edit: He also said I didn't have to use Outlook, (which I don't), but I could input my calendar and alarm entries manually myself, and they would still function like I would want them to.

I'm currently examining the Palmone Zire 31 handheld PDA, which Andrew says would handle my database problem as well as give me a to do list, a calendar, and a notepad, which are the other three things that matter to me. Photos and music don't really matter, so I'm not concerned about those.

Does anyone here use the Zire 31, and is it any good? Also is Graffitti hard to learn?

I also prefer a tiny keyboard as opposed to using the stylus, but I suspect I don't have the money to afford that.

Thanks for your input.

Brenda

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
(Quote sent to me by a true friend, author unknown).
Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 13, 2004, 03:49:23 PM EST
New Some options.
Hi,

I was hoping to input the list into a handheld PDA of sorts and be able to access it and maybe hopefully, sort it by alphabet while out and about.

My friend Andrew said that it didn't have to have the capability of dealing with Word or Access, that I could save the Word or Access file as a txt file and transfer it to the PDA.

There are PalmOS viewers/editors that understand MS Office files. Sony Clie' devices usually come with them. E.g. [link|http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/index.html|Documents to Go] - the Pro version claims to work with Access. There are other options as well - you'll have to look around. Check [link|http://www.palmgear.com|Palmgear] for a listing a lot of what's available for PalmOS.

If you don't want to learn Graffiti, you don't have to. A "virtual" keyboard is also available on the PalmOS device - you hunt and peck with the stylus. But if you really want to do extensive editing of the files on the PalmOS device, you'll probably want a real plug-in keyboard. That may limit the type of device you can get (most of them are for Palm devices, not Sony, etc.) Or you can do all of your editing on a PC, download the updated file during a HotSync operation, and use the PalmOS device as a viewer/transfer/minor change device.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who uses the hunt-and-peck and doesn't have an external keyboard.)
     How do I assess a PDA? - (Nightowl) - (8)
         have you looked at these? - (daemon) - (3)
             size matters - (bepatient)
             Paper Organization - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 Some options. - (Another Scott)
         PDA databases - (altmann) - (1)
             Thanks! - (Nightowl)
         Another alternative - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             Thanks for the suggestion - (Nightowl)

Where's my tinfoil hat...?
55 ms