IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New hold the presses our army is up the creek deeply
and getting low on paddlers. My charitable org helps run rock, hip hop etc concerts in the clearwater florida are. Having attended 3 this is the first I have seen with the following.

Between each alternative rock band, Firefights, tanks, jumping out of airplanes showing how if you join the army or marines you could get to do that, recruiters onsite heavy.

How many of you have watched starship troopers? This concert reminded me of that movie, everything was a plug to join up and fight the bad guys,

Now I have no problem with this, they should be able to recruit anywhere but the intensity tells me that recruiting is tough at the moment or we need a boatload more troops than we have now.

Time to bring back the draft with no exemptions and share the pain meaning bring back political accountability to the war process. How many times have I heard "well they volunteered didnt they?
regards,
daemon
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
clearwater highschool marching band [link|http://www.chstornadoband.org/|http://www.chstornadoband.org/]
New 2 points
first - it was obvious to anyone that they were having huge problems much earlier than that. Stop-loss orders and calling in a HELL of a lot of reserves. We're fighting the same war we did back in the 80's, but we've got a LOT less help than we did back then.

second - there's no way they call institute the draft now. That's the one good thing Democrats did: they pushed Bush that he was going to implement a draft. The Republicans scrambled and voted down the draft order prior to the election. If they implement a draft now, it'll make the Republicans look like total liars.
New Re: it'll make the Republicans look like total liars.
Do you really think that will matter? There was ample evidence before the election of such (couple quick easy two: Condsleeza in front of the 9/11 panel and Colon in front of the UN Sec Council). It didn't matter then. What makes you think it would matter now?
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
(Just trying to be accepted in the New America)
New No it won't.
They're Republicans, so nobody will even mention it, never mind call them liars.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Read my lips - like father like son
Promise-keeping has never been a Bush family trait.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."     --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."     --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:29:49 AM EDT
New And your point is?
We already know the Banana Republicans are liars. We knew that before the election. What's worse, they knew we knew, and they won the election (more or less) anyway.

Do you really think more confirmation that they are liars, thieves, scoundrels, and latter-day fascists is going to make any sort of difference?

Remember, they have a mandate!
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New The backup plan.
Other way to get way more recruits is for the economy to falter. For many, the military would offer the only job prospect.
New Don't think it's the backup.
I think it's the whole plan.

Seriously.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New How do you define bad?
I don't know about you...but when you start pulling in 70 year-olds...

Dr. John Caulfield thought it had to be a mistake when the Army asked him to return to active duty. After all, he's 70 years old and had already retired -- twice. He left the Army in 1980 and private practice two years ago.

"My first reaction was disbelief," Caulfield said. "It never occurred to me that they would call a 70-year-old."

In fact, he was so sure it was an error, at first he ignored the postcards and telephone messages asking if he would be willing to volunteer for active duty to "backfill" somewhere on the east coast, Europe or Hawaii. That would be OK, he thought. It would release active duty oral surgeons from those areas to go to combat zones in Iraq or Afghanistan.

But then the orders came for him to go to Afghanistan.

Today, Caulfield, a colonel, is an example of how the continuing demands of keeping ground troops in Afghanistan and Iraq are straining the military, and forcing the various branches to go to extraordinary measures to keep the ranks filled. He's attending to patients -- U.S. troops, Afghan soldiers and civilians \ufffd at the Army's 325th Field Hospital in Bagram, Afghanistan.

[...]

"The rules say it's at 60 years of age when people retire," said Dov Schwartz, an Army spokesman. But the Army will issue waivers allowing people who are older to serve if they have needed skills. Returning, though, is "totally voluntary," Schwartz said.

[...]

When the call-up came, he had no qualms about serving. He said that because the wars in Afghanistan and in Iraq were within such a close time, the military is exhausting some specialties. They have rotated some reservists in and out.

"Because there is no draft they are using and maybe overusing the National Guard and Reserve," he said. "There is no obligatory method."

Caulfield said he is glad to be able to help.
[link|http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/localstoryN1207OLDSOLDIER.htm| Florida Today ]

New wonder if they need old farts who know unix and weaponry?
base housing in fayettville NC or Fort Richardson AK wouldnt be bad, with px priveleges. Might check into it. I can hit anything I can see, of course my eyesight isnt what it used to be so I can still see it, and hit it but couldnt tell WTF I was shooting at :-)
regards,
daemon
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
clearwater highschool marching band [link|http://www.chstornadoband.org/|http://www.chstornadoband.org/]
     hold the presses our army is up the creek deeply - (daemon) - (9)
         2 points - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
             Re: it'll make the Republicans look like total liars. - (mmoffitt)
             No it won't. - (Andrew Grygus)
             Read my lips - like father like son - (tuberculosis)
             And your point is? - (jb4)
         The backup plan. - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Don't think it's the backup. - (imric)
         How do you define bad? - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
             wonder if they need old farts who know unix and weaponry? - (daemon)

My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
56 ms