IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh the stupidities
Product A has an admittedly ugly GUI screen-scraped interface.

Product B, coming out "soon" (hopefully) is one of those EJB server gui redesigned things that are supposed to bring customers flocking to the fold. But it's still a few months out.

Directive from top. Build "something" on product A that looks like product B so we can sell stuff. (development group weeps moans and gnashes teeth at some of the technicalities.)

At least I get to brush up (and it's a nice wire brush, loosening all that rust) my Java experience.

They're taking two people (at least), putting them on a stopgap nonproductive project, so it looks good. (Shrug) Have been told that the lusers watching the demos are making the choices, not the computer center. Ah well, at least I get to upgrade my Java skills before the company goes under or I am fired.
New Remember your fundamentals
They're taking two people (at least), putting them on a stopgap nonproductive project, so it looks good. (Shrug)

Devil Oper.'s First Rule: Don't get sucked into stopgap nonproductive projects.
Devil Oper.'s Second Rule: Every project is a stopgap nonproductive project.

HTH
---------------------------------
A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New It's not
AS/400 based is it? It sounds like a project at a company I worked for using Seagull's GUI/400 as a screen-scraper (Well, similar in that the screen-scraper can be really ugly, and was moving to a Java GUI). If so, IIRC GUI-400 is fairly customizable (if you aren't doing that that now, that is) - you might be able to change the appearance of the 5250 screens enough, add enough widgets, etc. to satisfy folk that 'work is being done' until 'Product B' is ready... A couple of months isn't THAT bad...

ps. One of the things I had to do, personally, at that gig was to set up 'beta' (Ha!) software so that demos of it actually ran well enough to sell the package - even though the software really didn't work reliably enough to actually release. Please tell me that this has nothing to do with the insurance industry!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New There are really two ways to do anything
Way #1 is the right way.

Way #2 is the way of the managers who don't know as much as you do.

Go with way #1 and you do what is right and correct, but run the risk of getting fired.

Go with way #2 and you make the managers happy, but doom the project/task you are working on. Eventually the project/task goes bust, and then if they blame you for it you get fired, downsized, or put on probation.

It is a lose-lose situation anyway. You are trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Any job situation that uses dishonesty in that maner to promote a product is not worth working at anymore. If the managers want you to lie to clients and investors, imaging what the managers are doing to you behind your back?

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
New Careful there, Oh Ryan..
Perilously close to describing the underlying methodology of creating a race of Consumers - and convincing them all that..

They need all this stuff which requires that they work 24/7 50+ weeks/yr. to buy all this stuff, which they then have..

no time left to enjoy (while paying off the CC debt to get all this - d.c.

= da capo go back to beginning

Glossary:

'lying' == advertising, marketing, CEO --> grunt
'stuff' == well, you know
'need' == The Big Lie
'buy' == get now / pay with int. later
24/7 50 wks/yr == Murican style; Euro: 37 hrs/wk. 47-48 wks/yr
Technology makes it possible for us to control everything except technology
     Oh the stupidities - (duke) - (4)
         Remember your fundamentals - (tseliot)
         It's not - (imric)
         There are really two ways to do anything - (orion) - (1)
             Careful there, Oh Ryan.. - (Ashton)

Finito, bay-bee...
55 ms