IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Scalia continues slide towards insanity
[link|http://www.commondreams.org/views04/1202-33.htm|Common Dreams]
Antonin Scalia, the man most likely to be our next Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, turned history on its head recently when he attended an Orthodox synagogue in New York and claimed that the Founders intended for their Christianity to play a part in government. Scalia then went so far as to suggest that the reason Hitler was able to initiate the Holocaust was because of German separation of church and state.

The Associated Press reported on November 23, 2004, "In the synagogue that is home to America's oldest Jewish congregation, he [Scalia] noted that in Europe, religion-neutral leaders almost never publicly use the word 'God.'"

"Did it turn out that," Scalia asked rhetorically, "by reason of the separation of church and state, the Jews were safer in Europe than they were in the United States of America?" He then answered himself, saying, "I don't think so."

Scalia has an extraordinary way of not letting facts confound his arguments, but this time he's gone completely over the top by suggesting that a separation of church and state facilitated the Holocaust. If his comments had gotten wider coverage (they were only noted in one small AP article, and one in the Jerusalem Post), they may have brought America's largest religious communities - both Christian and Jewish - into the streets.

Jews are safer in the US because we don't have the seperation of church and state found in Europe and a strong Christian tradition? That idea is wrong on so many levels I don't know what to say.

Jay
New 'Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it'
Hitler got a lot of success out of citing God and claiming the Nazi Party as the only true proponent of Christian values. The only way you can possibly blame secularism for the rise of Hitler is to say that secular government left religious nuts willing to support anyone which promised to advance towards a theocracy... but it looks from that article like Scalia is actually calling Hitler a secularist.

Then there's the whole two thousand years of explicitly Christian governments leading persecutions of Jews. I guess Scalia is definitely not in the "fact-based" camp.
New I'd reply, but what can one say?
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
(Just trying to be accepted in the New America)
New Howzabout, "what a frickin' maroon"?
New Impeach Antonin Scalia, I say!
Alex

In politics, what begins in fear usually ends in folly. -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, poet (1772-1834)
New Gott mit Uns.
One might expect regular citizens to be ignorant of history, but a Supreme Court Justice? Does he imagine that the phrase "Gott mit Uns" was a German clothier's interpretation of "Got Milk"?

[link|http://www.buzzflash.com/farrell/04/12/far04041.html|http://www.buzzflash.../12/far04041.html]

One might expect a USSC judge to be a student of history but hey, this is Murica.
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
(Just trying to be accepted in the New America)
     Scalia continues slide towards insanity - (JayMehaffey) - (5)
         'Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it' - (tangaroa)
         I'd reply, but what can one say? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Howzabout, "what a frickin' maroon"? -NT - (tangaroa)
         Impeach Antonin Scalia, I say! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Gott mit Uns. - (mmoffitt)

Dvorak-keyboard powered!
41 ms