IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Both actually
The device had already been "componentized" by the time he got it -- he just got the amp and speakers before the Original Disassembler got to throwing it out.

Although the price was right (and the 6L6GCs made a nice marshmallow roaster), It wasn't no [link|http://www.hendrixguitars.com/Images/Am022.jpg|Fender Bassman] (which is what I eventually replaced it with...).
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New In negotiations
I've got a ~'70 Fender Super Reverb and an '86 Marshall JCM 800 (both amps 50W). I'm trying to trade them in on an old '65 Twin Reverb. It'll need some work, but not more than about a hundred to a hundred and fifty bucks to get it right up to snuff.

I've got my fingers crossed; the person who own it is a crotchety ol' bastard AFAICT, judging by the reaction of the store guy (owner, and I've known him for a few years now) when he was discussing my offer with him.

I'm hoping I can land it.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Drooooooooool
good luck!
--
Steve
New Didn't get it
the guy decided when I made my offer that he suddenly wanted another three hundred bucks for it.... so fuck him.

The owner of the store pretty much said the same thing to him. He told me that I'd made the first serious offer in six months, that I was within 50 bucks of his stated price, and then suddenly the guy wanted 1750 instead of 1450. In short, he wanted the store owner's comission as well as more money from me. Apparently this is not the first time something like this has happened... so when the guy threatened to take his stuff to Toronto to sell it, the owner told him that maybe that'd be a better idea, and could he pick up his stuff on Friday?

Still sucks though; I was really looking forward to that amp.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Bum R!
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Oh well.
I traded my 70 Super for a ~mid-70s Twin instead. That means I get to keep the Marshall. I'm going to get the local Tube Genius (his name's Clint) to do some reconditioning on it.

It's got a weird feature where you can pull the Master Volume and it'll boost the gain. Sounds really crappy actually. Since this one's a 100W Amp, I'm wondering if it might not be possible to use it to switch between using only two and four of the power tubes, so I could switch it between 50 and 100 watts depending on the size of the room. Only problem I can see is that the mod might be really expensive to realise.

One Of These Days I'm gonna have to learn how to read a circuit schematic.
New Talk to your amp tech
Depending how your amp's wired, you can safely remove a pair to cut the power in half without any mods. No idea if that's possible on the twin, and if it is, which two would constitute a pair. Given the lethal voltages involved, i'd definitely consult an expert.
--
Steve
New Oh yeah
I know myself well enough to know that that's an area I DON'T want to go messing in.

That's all going to have to wait till after the holiday bills, though. What I'm kind of hoping to have happen is have a way that the master vol pull switch can be used to bring a pair of tubes online or offline. This way, the amp can be both a 50W and a 100W amp.

I really should learn how to read those diagrams... I could see how one could make money doing hand made custom built amps for the well heeled. I was talking to the local amp guy, and he said he could see doing one on commission, but that it would require some 2500 to 3000 bucks before he'd be interested.
New Had a teacher who did that
Not custom amps, custom speakers for high-end stereos. His were the first I saw for home use that had the subwoofer separate from the mid/high speakers. The sub was a 2-foot cube that looked like an end table. The mid/highs were about 18 inches square and three inches deep and hung on the wall. They were as large as they were because they were packed with custom-built active crossovers, tuned to the room they were in. This was all before you could buy a tunable crossover.

For a system that you almost couldn't see the speakers unless you knew what you were looking for, it was amazing. Crystal clear even from next-door. And yes, he tested them that way.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Re: Talk to your amp tech
Heh, just passing through and see 'Vacuum Tubes' in a digitalist thread; suddenly it's 1960 again :-0

Well... you're talking about -literally- a 3 dB change in available average power ratio, especially at low frequencies [where most energy in the spectrum lies] depending on storage caps and PS 'stiffness', etc. - maybe a tad more than 3 dB difference for peaks.

You'd need the filaments on all the while, on the 'extra' output pair. But since the DC bias current through the output transformer windings affects its dynamic characteristics (ie B/H curve saturation) when it is "transforming", the power supply would have to regulate at both current levels too -- and, there's more.

ie, I think you're pining for a quite non-simple contrivance. Not clear what you think you're gaining - saving a pair of tubes? At the least, some load resistors at HV might have to be relay-switched, as would the plate leads for the spare-pair need to be opened/closed = sometimes under load* and without creating noise transients. Then there's the feedback loop, which must have correct values at both levels.

* which demands 'robust' relay contacts, which can suppress an arc.. and maybe some noise as they operate. the more I think of the consequences + how a tube amp operates:

I'd want $3K to make such a thing ~bulletproof, too - cheaper for a home-brew test box. Cheaper yet: leave them all on, all the time - and buy some spare output tubes for the next 100 years, for a lot less $. Your simple 'gain switch' could merely attenuate the input, at preamp/voltage level - no problem to contrive such a 'convenience switch', if you can find a push-pull pot/switch combo in today's Collector World [?] Prolly some of my Tek scope buddies could check their junk boxes.

(Also cool the suckers with a [big, slow ergo quiet] fan - something rarely thought of, even with high end amps in the golden era of Hi-Fi and of real engineers designing special xfmrs and stuff.)

My 3 kopeks.. ah then, nostalgia ain't what it -

moi
who recalls how shitty were the first 'solid state' audio 'components' -- and then the rise of Evangelical-Belief-audio with $2000 speaker cables. Barnum was .. well, you know. If I'd only saved a few Marantz Model 10s in factory boxes :(

PS - decidedly Lethal voltages/currents in these; some had >600V plate voltages with hundreds of mA capacity; enough joules to fibrillate even what passes for a heart in a Neoconman's sunken chest.
New What I'm gaining
is an amp that's sized appropriately for most of the rooms I play in. 100W is too much. Since tube amps have to have a certain minimal level of saturation before they really start to sing, you have to get a certain amount of flow through them to get it; that is, it sounds thin at 3, but rockin' at 7 (and at 11, well...;). However, with the amp at 100W, the typical club is not large enough to handle the volume, and you end up blowing the audience's hair back, not to mention trashing your own ears. Esp. with modern PA systems, small is beautiful... but OTOH, those old amps have a sound that most new ones just can't reproduce... or if they can, they cost 3 grand.

Anyway, I don't have the coin for it right now, so it's something that's going to wait for a while.
New Have you considered an attenuator?
Basically a big honking resistor on the output of the amp prior to the speaker. Allows you to run the amp full bore if you want to really work those power tubes, yet reign in the volume with only a slight sacrifice to tone. The speakers themselves are part of the equation, and definitely have their sweet spot as well, so if you're constantly playing attenuated, you might invest in a second cabinet with speaks that have a sweet spot close the levels you need.
--
Steve
New Yes I have
and it may be the solution I go for. Haven't decided yet... and since I know they also cost a few hundred bucks it becomes a question of cost benefit.

One thing that might work... the Twin has 2 12" speakers, and my Marshall (50W) has one. An easier way to go about it might be to get an attenuator, and then put the output to one of the two speakers. That would pretty much put it on a par with the Marshall... which would be very good for a bi amp setup (when it's time to reeeaaalllyyy roooock oooouuuuut;). Good balance in power and amount of air being pushed... and I have an AB switch. Hmmmm... even better might be a stereo pan pedal or some such.

It'd prolly go a long way to heating my room, too;)
New New thread time, maybe...?
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New This might not cost a bundle.. (new thread)
Created as new thread #186231 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=186231|This might not cost a bundle..]
     Time for good anti-OO battle to take minds off of election - (tablizer) - (77)
         Sorry cant go there - (daemon) - (32)
             How is being locked to a DB more evil than being locked to - (tablizer) - (31)
                 It's best to fit the tool to the job - (FuManChu) - (30)
                     Thanks for that ... +5 insightful - (drewk) - (6)
                         For various definitions of "start" ;) - (FuManChu)
                         On writing the "little language thing ..." - (systems) - (4)
                             Suggestion - (ben_tilly)
                             "Little Language" definition, components - (FuManChu) - (2)
                                 On what makes it easy to do little languages. - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                                     Good point. - (FuManChu)
                     Orthogonal to DB usage - (tablizer) - (22)
                         That's actually a good idea - (drewk) - (17)
                             *Snork* beat me to it :) -NT - (FuManChu)
                             Cure worse than the medicine. - (tablizer) - (15)
                                 "tends to bloat up code" - (admin) - (14)
                                     Your "solution" to such bloat was HQL, yes or no? -NT - (tablizer) - (13)
                                         It was a solution, yes. -NT - (admin)
                                         Since you seem to be slow... - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                                             I did NOT "lose". His solution was variation on SQL - (tablizer) - (10)
                                                 In your universe, perhaps - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                                     The mapper did not reduce his code size - (tablizer) - (8)
                                                         Bryce, you lost this one already. - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                             I did NOT fscken lose. He gave no code-size proof. Zilch. - (tablizer) - (6)
                                                                 Why is code size your (apparently) sole criterion? - (drewk) - (5)
                                                                     You are welcome to present ANY metric you can justify - (tablizer) - (4)
                                                                         Thank you - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                             Usually people don't question those much - (tablizer)
                                                                         We've already been over change scenarios - (admin) - (1)
                                                                             re: We've already been over change scenarios - (tablizer)
                         "Orthogonal" in exactly the same sense as differential gears - (FuManChu) - (3)
                             You just shortened this thread by 200 posts. Cut & Paste. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 "[Nobody] ...points out that the cut-and-paste method... - (FuManChu)
                             No, you got me all wrong, dude - (tablizer)
         Repeat after me: - (admin) - (1)
             I never said OO was JUST about inheritance. - (tablizer)
         Amusing to note... - (JimWeirich) - (41)
             re: nouns and noun grouping - (tablizer) - (40)
                 Bryce: control tables are bad - (admin) - (37)
                     Time will erase performance differences - (tablizer) - (36)
                         That's not the main reason why they're bad. - (admin) - (35)
                             Because VC tools are hierarchy-biased. - (tablizer) - (34)
                                 Go read the thread. - (admin) - (33)
                                     You always talk as if I push a grand conspiracy - (tablizer) - (32)
                                         Relational has its place. - (admin) - (31)
                                             Math and Boolean expressions - (tablizer) - (30)
                                                 Ever use Zachary? - (admin) - (29)
                                                     I will believe it only when I see it with my own eyes - (tablizer) - (28)
                                                         - said the blind man (ducks and runs) -NT - (Arkadiy)
                                                         NO. - (admin) - (26)
                                                             You never identified an in-born fault of tables. -NT - (tablizer) - (25)
                                                                 Tables don't make good chairs. - (Another Scott) - (24)
                                                                     Vacuum Tubes - (tablizer) - (23)
                                                                         You can pry my tube guitar amp outta my cold, dead fingers. - (Steve Lowe) - (22)
                                                                             Digital precision can be boring - (tablizer) - (18)
                                                                                 Yes - tubes are IT man - (tuberculosis) - (17)
                                                                                     Heh! That was my first bass amp! - (jb4) - (16)
                                                                                         I don't know whether to be amused or appalled - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                                                                                             Both actually - (jb4) - (14)
                                                                                                 In negotiations - (jake123) - (13)
                                                                                                     Drooooooooool - (Steve Lowe) - (12)
                                                                                                         Didn't get it - (jake123) - (11)
                                                                                                             Bum R! -NT - (jb4) - (10)
                                                                                                                 Oh well. - (jake123) - (9)
                                                                                                                     Talk to your amp tech - (Steve Lowe) - (8)
                                                                                                                         Oh yeah - (jake123) - (1)
                                                                                                                             Had a teacher who did that - (drewk)
                                                                                                                         Re: Talk to your amp tech - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                                                                             What I'm gaining - (jake123) - (4)
                                                                                                                                 Have you considered an attenuator? - (Steve Lowe) - (3)
                                                                                                                                     Yes I have - (jake123) - (2)
                                                                                                                                         New thread time, maybe...? -NT - (admin)
                                                                                                                                         This might not cost a bundle.. (new thread) - (Ashton)
                                                                             Mesa Boogie Forever -NT - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                 That'll prolly be my second choice - (jake123)
                                                                                 Feh! The Ultimate was... - (jb4)
                 re: nouns and noun grouping - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                     Can't do a whole lot with your hidden anecdotes - (tablizer)

My other car is a unicycle.
293 ms