IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks. The trouble with man pages is...
you have to know the name of the command that you want to run. :-(

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Result.
reiserfsck --check /dev/hda2

from ProMEPIS said repairs could only be made using the --rebuild-tree option.

reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/hda2

put 121 objects in /lost+found and deleted 4 unreachable items.

:-(

Booting Xandros now gives lots of "file not found" errors, and I eventually get a blank screen. Perhaps I could recover by moving things out of /lost+found, but that would be very time consuming for me. And figuring out what was deleted would be a challenge. A reinstall of Xandros seems to be in order.

Moral: Don't blindly use QTParted from ProMEPIS on a ReiserFS partition. :-(

Thanks Greg. I appreciate the pointer.

Cheers,
Scott.
New What you should have done...
You should have used resize_reiserfs to reduced the amount of space the actual filesystem used remove X amount of space.

Then you could have reduced the partition size.

Lesson learned for next time.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
Here is an example: [link|http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/gm001-ie/|Executing arbitrary commands without Active Scripting or ActiveX when using Windows]
New Posting from Xandros.
On booting the Xandros Setup CD I tried to Repair the existing Xandros installation. It claimed to fix things, but all it seemed to do was reset LILO. It still booted to a black screen (though did give a graphics mode shutdown message when I pressed CAD).

I booted the Xandros Setup CD and then reinstalled Xandros. It was uneventful and kept my previous settings for many things. But since I didn't install LILO in the MBR, on booting Xandros after the install LILO wasn't happy: LI 01 01 01 01 ...

I booted the ProMEPIS CD and reinstalled Grub in the MBR and then copied my modified menu.lst to allow booting of Xandros again. No problems.

On doing the update from Xandros's site, it claimed it needed 120+ MB of stuff, but I don't know how much was actually installed. (It said the updates would take 5+ MB of space.) I think the download was better than 200 kB/s over my 802.11b/cable connection, so it was reasonably quick.

So, I'm up and running with Xandros and ProMEPIS. I don't think I'll update Mozilla from 1.4 on Xandros as I don't want a repeat of [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=177480|this] problem.

Cheers,
Scott.
New apropos is good for that
If you don't know the name, but have a vague idea of what it does.

\ntsinclai@pdog:~$ apropos reiser\ndebugreiserfs (8)    - The debugging tool for the ReiserFS filesystem.\nfsck.reiserfs (8)    - The checking tool for the ReiserFS filesystem.\nmkfs.reiserfs (8)    - The create tool for the Linux ReiserFS filesystem.\nmkreiserfs (8)       - The create tool for the Linux ReiserFS filesystem.\nreiserfsck (8)       - The checking tool for the ReiserFS filesystem.\nreiserfstune (8)     - The tunning tool for the ReiserFS filesystem.\nresize_reiserfs (8)  - resizer tool for the ReiserFS filesystem\n
Tom Sinclair

"This is a lovely party," said the Bursar to a chair, "I wish I was here."
-- The Bursar is a man under a *lot* of stress
(Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)
New Thanks! I'll have to remember that. :-)
     As if I didn't have enough to do. Xandros and ProMEPIS. - (Another Scott) - (10)
         Use the manpage Luke! - (folkert) - (6)
             Thanks. The trouble with man pages is... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Result. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     What you should have done... - (folkert)
                     Posting from Xandros. - (Another Scott)
                 apropos is good for that - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                     Thanks! I'll have to remember that. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Sound working now. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Yeah, I turned him onto the fix. >:-D -NT - (folkert)
             Posted elsewhere, but ... - (drewk)

*pssst* Wanna buy a watch?
84 ms