Our 98 Windstar is pushing 100,000, so we're starting to look. The Windstar has been pretty much trouble free, except for a recent $600 repair to fix some idle valves in the intake manifold. Basically, the valves weren't working correctly and the car was idling rough. No big engine/transmission problems. The A/C has gone out twice, but we were able to repair under a 75,000 mile warranty. But, alas, the WindStar is no more. You would need to look at a FreeStar.

Right now, you can get a really good deal on a Town & Country. We've been seeing ones with leather and everything discounted by 5-6000 here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Sticker $32,000, they are willing to sell it for $26,000 (and I think I can probably get them down from that). We're concerned about the reliability, because my boss had 3 transmissions put in his Caravan, which is the same platform.

But, my wife has the SUV bug, too. Gas mileage on Durango, Expedition, Explorer, Pilot, Envoy and most others is not great. We have 3 kids, so we want something with 3 rows or lots of elbow room.

I'm trying to get mileage, and the VANs generally have better mileage than the SUVs.

We are looking at Pacifica, Pilot, Honda Odessey, Nissan Quest and the Town & Country. And maybe the FreeStart, but my wife says it looks goofy.

Or I can get a used Volvo, 65k miles for about $11,000. S80 Turbo. From a friend.

The wife wants a new or slightly used Volvo XC 90, but they freakin' $42,000!!!!

Glen