High School / Early College

Sold Commodore VIC 20 and Commodore 64 sytems, and Commodore CBM at a computer store.
Bought my own Commodore 64.
Sold CP/M systems, most of the names I can't remember.
Sold Zenith "almost IBM compatibles" with MS DOS 1.1
Leased time on Apple II computer systems to customers.
Worked with BasicA, WordStar, and Visicalc

Late College

Prime 750 Operator, did backups, played early text role-playing games
IBM 4361 / IBM 7171 Operator and Networking Hardware (wired up terminals)
Used BitNet (predecessor to the Internet) to communicate with my now wife, attending another University. VM/CMS, REXX

Early TI "almost IBM compatibles" - Wrote Turbo Pascal data entry program for research projects for the Texas Poll, used by Harte Hanks communications. Worked with the Dean of Liberal Arts on Lotus 1-2-3 1a to create a spreadsheet matrix to maintain budget for them. Learned Symphony, but never used it.

Mainframe - Did maintenance work on SAS for longitudinal study of Heroin addicts (it wasn't pretty, the study results)

VAX (don't remember the generation) - Fixed sociologist's research project who was loosing data in UCSD Pascal. He did not understand multi-user systems.

Senior year, purchased my own Zenith MS-DOS compatible system. 8086 / Dual double-density disk drives. With help from an expert, replaced the serial processing chips in my Zenith after a lightening strike wiped the chip out. Programmed in Turbo Pascal, and wrote programs in WordStar for the mainframe, then transferred them to the mainframe.

First Work After College

IBM 370 Mainframe Assembler - Busted dumps and resolved system problems in Transaction Processing Facility (TPF), mainly used by banks and airlines. (I worked for an airline.) REXX, VM/CMS, IBM Assembler. Some of the assembler code dated back to the 1960's.

Worked on Paradox database for department to track file system usage by the TPF system. Don't remember the hardware platform 286 technology IBM compatible.

Bought myself a hard drive.

Now

3 Windows Computers at home, 2 Debian Linux (about to be upgraded to SuSe, I think)
Work on RedHat AS 2.1 at work, on IBM xSeries Hardware, multiple CPU.
Also working on Solaris 2.6, 8, 9 and AIX 4.3 (which I know is out of date, but it is being replaced with the Linux stuff)
Large box supported is 12 CPUs.
EDI Software Architect, Sterling GenTran Integration Suite, Cyclone Commerce AS2, All Java Architecture.
Pharmacy Industry.
About 2-3 years of Java experience, and programming in C since 1990 and C++ since 1992.
Had to fix an "old" C program just this week. The return code from execvp wasn't being checked. Now I need to review the rest of the code to see if there are more uglies like that. I didn't write it.

Glen Austin