IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New O2 XDA II opinions sought.
My fiance expressed a desire the other week for a PDA-phone. I'm still not sure what the attraction was for her, but I suspect it may have had something to do with time spent playing on my Newton and how often I have it with me and use it.

Anyway. Options were almost scandalously limited. [link|http://www.myxda.com/|O2] appear to have a virtual retail lock in Sydney and Palm don't seem all that interested in being in the PDS-phone market. If you want just a PDA, then there is some choice. But make it a phone and you don't.

Choices were:
* O2 XDA II. OS: Windows Mobile 2003. All input is stylus-on-screen.
* O2 XDA IIs. Same as the XDA II but it had a thumb-board and we had to wait two weeks. Oh, and the OS was Windows Mobile 2003 SE.
* Palm Treo. OS: Palm OS. Key things in with the thumboard as there's no Graffiti area anymore.
* Something Symbian based.

The symbian devices were all hard to locate as they are all high-end mobile phones. Plus most of them are actually Videophones from [link|http://www.three.com.au/|3].

My fiance didn't like relying on a thumboard - part of the attraction was writing something into them. Palm have obviously dropped the ball here: there *wasn't* one with the Graffiti input area making the Treo600 was the *only* Palm device with a phone in it.

So we were stuck with no choice, as I said. The XDA II with Windows Mobile 2003 or wait a few months for the other manufacturers to re-appear in the retail market. Faced with that, she bought one anyway.

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or not. It's Windows and yet it's not. I warned my fiance that that may frustrate her, but it hasn't seemed to have bothered her. Some things, like the current battery level, are inexplicably buried (about 4 taps required). Other things are very well done - you can put any wav file on and make it your ringtone. And it likes freezing whilst it does some large task. A Windows legacy, if ever I've seen one.

What do people think?

Wade.

Edit: fixed a weecode.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

Expand Edited by static Nov. 16, 2004, 11:15:56 PM EST
Expand Edited by static Nov. 16, 2004, 11:16:50 PM EST
New Clue for (forcible?) insertion into your beloved.
For your own shared happiness and reduction of device-flinging-across-room-in-frustration incidents, don’t bother with the PDAPhone concept.

I had the misfortune to own an SPV for a year. It’s a shiny toy at first, but the novelty soon wears off as one realises that this thing is a dreadful telephone.

The XDA is even worse than the SPV as a telephone, as the telephony stuff is even more of an afterthought.

A friend of mine had the original XDA and it lasted two weeks.

Two weeks before being returned.

Battery life is dreadful, voice quality is a joke, you look like a right plank talking into the thing (think n-Gage but without the hip lifestyle points).

Nice big screen, though.

Prod her towards something like an SE P900 if she absolutely must have a phone with PDA functionality.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
New I think they've fixed some of those points.
I've noticed the battery life is dreadful. That prompted my comment about how easy it isn't to see how much is left. OTOH, the voice quality is quite good. I've spoken to her on it and it was fine.

Remember, too, that I had a Handspring Visor with a VisorPhone for 2 years or so. The biggest problem I had was that the ring was not very loud. The second biggest problem was that getting it repaired when I broke the antenna was not possible.

She hasn't found any real anoyances yet, apart from possibly the battery life. I'll check, though.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
Please

New Re: O2 XDA II opinions sought.
And it likes freezing whilst it does some large task. A Windows legacy, if ever I've seen one.

Wonder if that's related in some way to the "max 32 processes" bug that CE had...
"Here at Ortillery Command we have at our disposal hundred megawatt laser beams, mach 20 titanium rods and guided thermonuclear bombs. Some people say we think that we're God. We're not God. We just borrowed his 'SMITE' button for our fire control system."
New Ah, the joys of buying stuff for your sweetie.
If you're like me, it won't get easier over time. :-/

My wife has an old Motorola StarTac flip phone. It has rather poor battery life, rather poor reception, the screen is monochrome, and I've already had to canibalize another one to fix it (the speaker died). I expect the flexible circuit board to fail eventually, like the donor's did.

But she loves it and gets upset when I mention to her that we should get her a newer phone. She does have a point that the newer ones are much thicker than her StarTac. Sometimes progress isn't. :-(

I hope it works out well for you and her. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New She chose it and bought it.
I just helped with the selection process. Well, I would have if O2 didn't have a retail lock and Palm was actually with the times instead of behind it. I didn't really want her to get a Windows-based device.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
Please

O2 XDA II opinions sought. - (static) - (5)
         Clue for (forcible?) insertion into your beloved. - (pwhysall) - (1)
             I think they've fixed some of those points. - (static)
         Re: O2 XDA II opinions sought. - (inthane-chan)
         Ah, the joys of buying stuff for your sweetie. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             She chose it and bought it. - (static)

Is this thing on?
53 ms