IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So I can't upgrade to 10.1...
Much as I try, it just hangs, screen goes dark, not very much exciting happening.

Looks like I may have a full reinstall from scratch ahead of me...
(Yay for backups)

It'll still boot into 10.0.4 in the meantime though (phew!).
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New OK, jus tignore this thread :)
Tis all installed now. Life (annd OS X 10.1) is good. :)

Edit: Updated the status of my 10.1 install adventure.
On and on and on and on,
Expand Edited by Meerkat Nov. 14, 2001, 11:19:38 PM EST
New What was wrong?

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Appears to simply have been screen brightness.
Unfortunately I was doing the update at work so I didn't have the VGA-dongle-thingy to confirm. But when I started the install, I had the screen down to minimum brightness, which is how I almost always have it.

When running the installer, it reboots the machine and then proceeds with the usual install stuff - asking questions, and the like. But after it had rebooted and started to run the installer (ie, after the Happy MAc face had come up, and it was showing all the usual signs of having booted) the screen went dark. Couldn't tell if it was just the backlight or if the screen was indeed blank, or switched off.

Anyway. Eventually managed to convince it to boot and not try and do the install. It booted happily into the existing 10.0.4 system, where I set the brightness to maximum. Ran the installer, and lo and behold it rebooted to do the install, and the screen was visible. Who knows, maybe the installer had a different way of doing screen brightness and rounded it down to zero. Or something.

Tis installed now, and quite groovy, much faster like everyone's been saying. Thank goodness. Except the command line (Terminal) seems to take longer to launch. So be it.

Have installed the dev tools also, which will probably keep me entertained for at least part of today.
On and on and on and on,
New 10.1.1 fixes terminal launch slowness

and Developer tools ROCK!!

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
New I've written my first Cocoa app.
thanks to [link|http://www.cocoadevcentral.com|Cocoa Dev Central]. They had a simple tutorial that worked. Yes, the developer tools do rock. All I have to do now is wrap my head around all the new concepts. Should be fun!
On and on and on and on,
New Smartest thing Apple ever did was include the tools
Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
New Cool
Cocoa rocks - I mean - totally beyond all other UI construction environments.

Hopefully you are using ObjectiveC and taking advantage of the full environment.

The java shims are just not nearly as good.
New It has the potential to seriously confuse the hell out of me
So it must be a good thing. I've still only constructed my one little 'two line app' but it gave a good indication of the power of the thing. And the ease at which things can be built. I just need to spend time wrapping my head around the concepts and getting my head into a more 'object' frame of mind. Looking foward to it.
On and on and on and on,
New IB took me several months to "get"
But once I did it was magic.

The light came on when I sat down and wrote a Cocoa app with no nib files from scratch. Once you see what to put together programatically, you see what you're supposed to assemble in IB.

I'm continually amazed at what I can get done in no time at all.

Ask if you get stuck - I got a lot of help from friends at Apple (one of them works on IB) and I can get you answers from the source if you want them.

Otherwise, the dev lists are good.
New Many thanks.
ALl I need to do know if dream up some kind of 'pet project' to get started on. Mind you, I'll be starting off real simple - after all, I'm a crap C coder so I have much to learn. Too many years of VB in my shadowy past have warped my fragile little mind :)

(Mind you if I do any proper dev work it'll be an excuse to buy a Quicksilver box :)
On and on and on and on,
New Of course, after all that..
10.1.1 is out (along with Airport 2, Installer update 1.<whatever>, etc.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
New Another day, another upgrade...
Haven't had an opportunity to connect it to the next since installing 10.1. I'm not quite game to connect it at work, but ... that would be a much better way of getting the 14 meg 10.1.1 download compared to dialup.
On and on and on and on,
     So I can't upgrade to 10.1... - (Meerkat) - (12)
         OK, jus tignore this thread :) - (Meerkat) - (11)
             What was wrong? -NT - (static) - (8)
                 Appears to simply have been screen brightness. - (Meerkat) - (7)
                     10.1.1 fixes terminal launch slowness - (tjsinclair) - (6)
                         I've written my first Cocoa app. - (Meerkat) - (5)
                             Smartest thing Apple ever did was include the tools -NT - (tjsinclair)
                             Cool - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                 It has the potential to seriously confuse the hell out of me - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                     IB took me several months to "get" - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                         Many thanks. - (Meerkat)
             Of course, after all that.. - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                 Another day, another upgrade... - (Meerkat)

I couldn't find my socks this morning, so I dialed information.
60 ms