IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Finding decent programmers
Is getting ridiculously difficult.

I'm not sure exactly what is to blame, schools, industry, low standards - however in order to work here you must have some C/C++, Java, or PERL programming experience and:

1) Know unix and what its for and grok the whole IO piping concept
2) Understand OO theory, terminology, and do a sane cocktail napkin OO design
3) Write a simple C string manipulation function and describe it over the phone
4) Know basic data structures, how to select one for a given use pattern and estimate/know the time complexity of its performance for various operations.
5) Understand bit manipulations and precision/range of various common data types like int, float, long, etc.

I have interviewed a dozen candidates in the last couple weeks and most can do only 2 out of the 5. Many seem to enjoy their state of ignorance brushing off this stuff as "useless theory that I've forgotten".

Strongest predictor of failure is extensive Java experience.

The search continues....

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."     --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."     --George W. Bush
New well..
..who has the opportunity to learn a craft in THIS world?

In any case, you'll never find anyone a 10th as skilled as you are, so bitching about it is sort of mawkish.
-drl
New Not surprising.
Java programmers are going to be all about forgetting the OS is there. So 1) and 5) are just not going to register. 3) either, for most of them, since they don't have to worry about that kind of crap.

Now, I'm not defending this, just saying that I'm not surprised.

In my experience, the best indicator of someone worth talking to is Perl, Python, or Ruby experience. Python or Ruby preferred over Perl, for this reason: most everyone puts Perl on their resume because it's a Popular Language. If someone bothers putting Ruby or Python down, though, that typically means they actually use it. And people who actually use real scripting languages are generally hipper to the programming scene in its entirety than those who don't.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Don't agree
On 1 - the question is usually phrased as something like: There 10,000 html templates in a unix directory structure with that mention fresh fish. We no longer sell fish and we have to remove those references by tomorrow. How can you come up with a list of files that need to be fixed?

On 5 - even if you're a java programmer you have to be able to select the right data type to hold the number I'm going to give you. I actually had a guy suggest you could represent a US SSN using a short.

On 3 - suppose I asked you to write a function to reverse the words in a string - if its not Java I'll say it has to be done in place. If it is Java you can have a StringBuffer that's the same size. Most cannot answer this question.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."     --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."     --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Nov. 8, 2004, 03:15:09 PM EST
New Hire Jake
He's obviously just the thing Big River Dead Tree Editions needs to put it over the top.
-drl
New Re: Don't agree
Again, I'm NOT saying this is a good thing, just that I'm not surprised. So you don't agree that I'm surprised? :-)

On 1, if you're a Java programmer you may not ever deal with the OS. Especially if you're using an IDE.

On 3, you said "C", which led me to believe you were looking for pointer arithmetic.

On 5, yes, you're interviewing idiots. I was under the impression you were talking about exact sizes of the primitives (32-bits for ints, etc.). Personally I wouldn't put a SSN in a numeric type anyway. :-P

As I said, though, you should be looking for people who have scripting experience as well.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Oh yeah - we want one scripting language
but it could be shell scripting.

"Personally I wouldn't put a SSN in a numeric type anyway."

Really? If its a database field I think I agree.

But what if I told you that you work for a fraud detection company and your job is to produce a little server that listens on a socket for a SSN and writes back an integer 1 or 0 depending on whether the SSN was valid (held by a live person). Assume the US Gov sends you a text file every month that has all valid SSN's - one per line. Also assume SSN data is potentially sparse.

How would you represent the data? How much space will you need? What is the Big-O efficiencey of worst case search?

This is rhetorical BTW. You don't have to answer :-)

I don't expect them to solve it on the phone. I do expect them to pick a strategy (or two) and explain what its going to cost in terms of memory consumption and time efficiency.

This is typical of the kinds of interview questions we ask around here. Which reminds me - got any favorite interview (programming) puzzles you want to share? We are always looking for new ones.

New Please don't ask the one about the manhole covers. :-/
[link|http://www.sellsbrothers.com/fun/msiview/default.aspx?content=question.htm|Sheesh! It's the first one!]

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who figures every new IT person in the world has memorized the "right" answers without thinking about the questions.)
New Otherwise known as...
... the "all your ideas are belong to us" question:

If MS told you we were willing to invest $5 million in a start up of your choice, what business would you start? Why?
Because you're looking for a job, you'll be too poor to sue us when we rip off the best 5 ideas we get from asking this question.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Shell scripting isn't the same thing at all.
People can write serious programs with the "higher" scripting languages. But again, I've had good luck with people who put down things like Python and Ruby because that means they actually USE them instead of just putting them on a resume to get past filters.

But what if I told you that you work for a fraud detection company and your job is to produce a little server that listens on a socket for a SSN and writes back an integer 1 or 0 depending on whether the SSN was valid (held by a live person). Assume the US Gov sends you a text file every month that has all valid SSN's - one per line. Also assume SSN data is potentially sparse.
See, you're providing more information now. :-)

Depends on how fast it *needs* to be, what the machine constraints are, and how much time you want to spend on a solution. If you're bringing stuff in over TCP/IP, then the data is already in string format, for one thing. If efficiency is everything, and you can't afford the RAM, then sure, put it in a numeral. Or if you just want a solution and RAM is not a problem, read the whole thing into a HashSet and get O(1) lookups straight from the string you read in.

Actually, the best way might be: allocate 125M of RAM, and on startup flip the corresponding bit to 1 for each SSN you read in. When you get a request, convert the SSN to long or whatever, divide by 8, look up the byte, and bitmask off the remainder to see if the SSN is valid. That way you don't have to keep any of the actual SSNs in memory at all, and your question is more or less moot. ;-)

I've personally never been in a situation like that with SSNs, though. :-)

Programming puzzles... I don't like them, in general, but it depends on what you're hiring for. When I hire for web developers, I give them a project to do that should take no more than 8 hours of time. They get a CD with a full environment on it, README, install instructions, compiler, Tomcat, JUnit libs, etc., and they're expected to produce a working web application given a spec. They can do it at home, here at the office on a spare machine, whereever. No frameworks allowed, no external libraries, but they can use any reference guide they wish. As a result I get people who can actually program and discuss the decisions they made intelligently, instead of people who are great at "puzzles" but couldn't actually program their way out of a wet paper bag on an actual project.

Let me know if you want a copy of the CD I have prepared.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New I said it was rhetorical
I also knew that wouldn't stop you. :-)

Personally, I look for diversity of experience - more languages/environments is better.

"Depends on how fast it *needs* to be"

Here everything is optimized for speed. RAM is cheap. Volumes are really high though. This is the first place I've ever worked where maximum performance software was really important.

"Or if you just want a solution and RAM is not a problem, read the whole thing into a HashSet and get O(1) lookups straight from the string you read in. "

Around here *money* is not a problem for hardware as long as you're buying off the rack (no exotics). With that answer I'd ask for a quick estimate of RAM required in the worst case of all SSN's being populated. What is the overhead of a HashSet (I have no idea without doing research)?

"Actually, the best way might be: allocate 125M of RAM, and on startup flip the corresponding bit to 1 for each SSN you read in. When you get a request, convert the SSN to long or whatever, divide by 8, look up the byte, and bitmask off the remainder to see if the SSN is valid. That way you don't have to keep any of the actual SSNs in memory at all, and your question is more or less moot. ;-)"

Yep, bit vector is the best answer (smallest and fastest).

"I've personally never been in a situation like that with SSNs, though. :-)"

That's a real program at a real company where I once interviewed in San Diego. The question generally produces the nice thought process you wrote down. It lets me see the thinking pattern.

Most frequent answer from soon to be rejected candidates is to suggest a binary tree, then fail to be able to calculate the memory requirements of the fully populated structure. They get tangled up in trying to figure out memory partitioning algos to swap to disk too.

The CD sounds intriguing but I don't know how applicable it is. We use very little Java and the stuff I need coded isn't even a web app.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Nov. 8, 2004, 04:35:33 PM EST
New Don't you mean, "rederickal"?
Sorry, Beep. ;-)

Diversity is good, but the scripting languages seem to bring out the more curious, problem-solving types. Most people who can't be arsed to learn a scripting language for the hell of it also can't be arsed to do a lot of other things.

This place is all about speed, too. We get thousands of pricing ticks a second, and those explode into huge calculations. And updates have to be as near to real time as possible.

The CD doesn't sound too useful, other than as an example. We've also given applicants a shell login and had them code in a C++ environment on a server here. You could probably do the same thing with Oracle if that's what you're looking for. Just make sure you trust your sysadmins to get the permissions right. :-P

The key is to make them do an actual project in an environment where they can be comfortable, in order to get an idea of how they would work on the job as opposed to in an interview.

I put a copy of the problem up for general perusal at [link|http://www.mr-anderson.net/stuff/PROJECT.html|http://www.mr-anders...tuff/PROJECT.html] if anyone is interested.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Admin, I'd like a copy of the CD or the ISO.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New I'll throw a copy up on my site.
I'll need to scrub it first, though.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New I wonder if that CD would be good as a VMWare image
Don't mean do it, just thinking that CD image seems to be a good fit for Virtual Machine image technology.

--Tony
New When ever. Its a *NOT* short term thing.
--
Freedom is not FREE.

0 rows returned.
New Re: I'll throw a copy up on my site.
[link|http://www.mr-anderson.net/stuff/j2eedist.tar.bz2|http://www.mr-anders.../j2eedist.tar.bz2]

I truncated the binary files and the Tomcat directories to save space. It was all very old stuff, and easy to obtain at any rate.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Interesting.
Its a project low enough for me to do, but has all the challenge of a real world thingamabober.

It may take me longer than 8 hours... but then I don't have really any programming experience in Java.

Thanks.
--
Freedom is not FREE.

0 rows returned.
New Enjoy.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Potentially sparse? I don't think so...
Perhaps in that big gap from 1_000_000_000 up. But there are about 300 million people in the USA, most of whom have a social security number (and others have been handed out), so social security numbers are mostly filled.

An optimal solution for the "sparse social security number" problem is going to use far too much memory when you have a mostly filled data space. Heck, 300 million pointers will take 1.2 GB on a 32-bit machine. Scott's solution is an extremely good trade-off that will be hard to beat on any significant criteria, let alone all of them combined.

Incidentally one thing to watch for in Scott's solutions, I believe that social security numbers can start with 0.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New I took the ones that start with 0 into account.
125M is approximately 1,000,000,000 / 8.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New I was referring to the step where you...
convert the string to long. Hand-rolled functions will be OK, but some library functions may take a leading 0 to indicate that the number is in octal, which generally won't do what you want it to.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Ah, gotcha. Good point.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New For various values of "sparse"
its only 1/3 populated and the gaps are uneven. Furthermore, SSN numbers are not issued sequentially. The first three digits have geographic significance.

Furthermore, people die in random order.

New Unless you have a lot of knowledge...
that isn't boiling down to anything that gives you a big win. Not when 300 million pointers takes that much space.

The knowledge that it is "gap-y" could provide a space win, but only at some performance cost. You'd have to store the data in carefully compressed form and then decompress before using. For instance you could have a table that maps every 64K block of social security numbers to a block of data, which has Scott's format stored using a standard kind of compression. To lookup a social security number you have to decompress the appropriate block then look up your social security number.

Well filled-in stretches and gaps should both compress well. However now every lookup involves decompressing a block of data rather than just a bitmap. This can only be recommended as a win if the data is seriously uneven and 128 MB of RAM simply can't be done.

Given the cost of RAM, I'd go with Scott's solution.

Cheers,
Ben
New Re: social security numbers can start with 0
Yep, mine does! But, there are other non-zero digits as well. :)
Alex

In politics, what begins in fear usually ends in folly. -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, poet (1772-1834)
New Re: Oh yeah - we want one scripting language

This is typical of the kinds of interview questions we ask around here. Which reminds me - got any favorite interview (programming) puzzles you want to share? We are always looking for new ones.

\r\n\r\n

Though not really used in interviews (our requirements are slightly oddball, so our actual methodology probably wouldn't be useful to anyone else), our lead dev has been peppering us with ideas for a series of quizzes he's writing -- things like "what is this regex meant to match" (often followed up with "what's the bug in it").

\r\n\r\n

Personally, I'm a fan of laying out an actual (or close to actual) scenario and playing the "how would you fix this" card; specific solutions aren't necessary, just evidence of a working knowledge of debugging under fire (like I said, our requirements are a bit oddball; it's not terribly unusual to get a request at noon for something to be developed from scratch and live before 5PM, nor is it unusual for us to get into situations where we have no way to really test something before deployment -- see [link|http://www.jacobian.org/writing/2006/nov/08/breaking-news/|our lead dev's write-up of our election coverage] for an example).

--\r\nYou cooin' with my bird?
New IRLRPD. (new thread)
Created as new thread #274319 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=274319|IRLRPD.]
New NEED to be fixed or MAY need to be fixed?
grep -rli 'fresh.*fish' root_directory_to_search > fishy_list

That should catch the files that you want. I'm assuming GNU grep of course.

It is not perfect though - if someone broke fresh and fish onto separate lines, it will miss that. Ditto if someone had "Fish, Fresh". Also there are ways to code links which will be missed. (In one file you have a function that takes a code name and returns a link for that item, complete with name, in another file you ask for code 12344, which is fresh fish. You'll have to look for 12344 as well...) And it will catch all of the files with references to things like "Fresh water fishing getaways".

Yeah, yeah, you were looking for the find solution that I know about but never use so my fingers don't know it. After glancing at the man pages, find -type f -print | xargs grep -li fresh.*fish Note that using xargs that way lessens the overhead of starting lots of copies of grep.

And yes, I would know enough to pick an int for that problem (assuming that you are on a 32-bit or better platform).

Cheers,
Ben
New MAY
Its a work scoping exercise. They'll get fixed by hand so probable matches is good.

The way to fail this one is to start writing an elaborate Java or C program to try to solve it. This is typical of the J-Heads. They'll write a whole Java program with custom string scanning and stuff.

Wrong tool for the job. Perl, Ruby, grep, whatever man.

New you dont sell fish anymore, who cares if its fresh?
1.find . -print|xargs grep fish >foo.ou$$
2. will TOP do? I can read oop but cant think in it
3. cat string | awk '{print $5, $4, $3, $2, $1}'
4. I got yer data structures right here, what do ya want to do with it?
5. $STDIN >foo |tail -f foo|grep SSBASE >foobar$$
ll foobar$$ | awk '{print $(filesize, depends on system}>$STDOUT
using the number 0 and 7 instead of 1 and 0. Well you get the idea
:-) thanks for letting me play
regards,
daemon
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
New Reversing words is trickier than chars
I don't think many people ever wrote this, except as an exersice.

I would locate first and last word, picked the shorter of them, swapped the chars up to the shorter's size in place, and then I'd have to shift the whole buffer (mmemove) by 1 char to free the space for the next char of the long one to be copied. Of course, a better way is to have a fixed-size buffer (say, 8 chars) so that at least some words can be copied with a single shift.

This produces slow and ugly code. In reality, I'd be sorely tempted to allocate another buffer and finish the whole thing with a single memcpy. Or am I missing an obvious and good algorithm here?
--

This guy's ahead of his time! He's using quantum programming methods: in universes where invalid data is passed to this function, it does not return. Thus you are ensured that you will only have valid data after calling it. Optimally you'd destroy the universe on failure, but computers haven't quite advanced to that level yet.

-- [link|http://thedailywtf.com/archive/2004/10/26/2920.aspx|The] Daily WTF

New read the post above yours :-)
read STDIN and assign variables to each non whitespace block, print them in reverse order.
regards,
daemon
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
New You're missing an obvious and good solution
Simply reverse the entire array by putting a pointer at each end and swapping chars until they pass each other.

Now scan it for word breaks and reverse each word in place.

Two passes, in place, no messy math.

New ohhh
I guess I fail...
--

This guy's ahead of his time! He's using quantum programming methods: in universes where invalid data is passed to this function, it does not return. Thus you are ensured that you will only have valid data after calling it. Optimally you'd destroy the universe on failure, but computers haven't quite advanced to that level yet.

New An obvious but NOT necessarily good solution
Consider the sentence, This sentence, right here, doesn't work well with Todd's algorithm.

With Todd's algorithm we get the following, .algorithm s'Todd with well work t'doesn ,here right ,sentence This

The output that I would expect (Arkadiy's algorithm would give it to you) is something more like, algorithm s, Todd with, well'work t doesn here right'sentence This.

The best possible output would be, algorithm Todd's, with well, work doesn't here right sentence This.

I hope that questioning the spec would give brownie points.

Cheers,
Ben
New It gives the results I expect
but your application of it I find odd.

This sentence, right here, doesn't work well with Todd's algorithm.

.algorithm s'Todd with well work t'doesn ,here right ,sentence This

I don't think an appostrophe counts as a word boundary - either in a contraction or when using a possessive. So I don't understand how reversing Todd's gets you s'Todd or doesn't gets you t'doesn.

As for the placement of punctuation - its kind of a fuzzy area I suppose and nobody is wrong as the desired behavior is left unspecified. The test string I had in mind was simpler - along the lines of "I was a bad boy". You can argue either result is correct. My gut is to treat sentence separators (commas, periods, etc) as individual words. You seem to have a different idea about leaving them between words 3 and 4 even if the original words 3 and 4 are now 9 and 8.

I hope that questioning the spec would give brownie points.

Pretty much any evidence of coherent thought gives brownie points. Failing completely but providing a view onto decent thought processes can still carry the day around here. We're just trying to find critical thinkers with decent grounding in CS that don't view all that "theoretical stuff" as useless.

This is apparently pretty hard to find.

New I was assuming...
the most naive definition of "word" - a string of word characters. In my experience people tend to start with that and then go from there.

You're right that the spec did not specify what to do with the non-word characters. But when I hear, "Do this", my first question is, "What other side-effects are OK?" My default assumption tends to be "none" unless I find out otherwise.

Cheers,
Ben
New Well it helps if you learn to spell it
As perlfaq1 says, But never write "PERL", because perl is not an acronym, apocryphal folklore and post‐facto expansions notwithstanding.

Anyways about that test, I'm not sure whether what you're looking for is better described as "decent" or "has the right mix of experiences". Would I pass? I'm not entirely sure. I believe that I have some Perl and would nail #1 and #4. Depending on the tester I might not do as well on #2 - while I understand basic OO theory and terminology, if your definition of OO terminology requires correctly explaining long lists of design patterns, I could get tripped up. (I've never worked with people who actually think in terms like, "I'll stick a Visitor pattern here...") On #3, I do little enough C that while I could easily give you pseudo-code over the phone immediately, I'd be likely to get the C code wrong on the first try. And #5, again I don't do a lot of C. I'll get a lot of them right. But some, well while I can tell you that a float handles "floating point numbers" to some limited precision, I don't have a concrete idea what the exact precision, range or representation is. (I could look it up, of course. In fact I just did and found that my initial guess of 4 bytes was right, but I still don't have an idea what the breakdown is between how that's divided between precision and range.)

Of course those holes could be fixed up relatively easily. (And I probably should.) They are omissions of detail, not concept. But still I could see myself failing this test of what makes a decent programmer.

Cheers,
Ben
New I think you'd pass
Because mostly we are looking for a total absence of knowledge on one or more items.

While I mentioned C strings - its really about basic knowledge of in place array manipulations - like can you reverse a string in place in some language like C (you can use any language you like but saying you're using Smalltalk and telling me you just send "reversed" to it will feel unsatisfying and you'll get another coding question).

I expect you could list a few classes you might need if modeling a video rental store and provide a sane explanation of polymorphism.

I also guess you could figure out how many bits you need to represent numbers that could go up to 6 million and then select an appropriate data type.

New RemoveSpaces
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=109060|http://z.iwethey.org...?contentid=109060]
--

New I might pass at that...
And depending on what happens with my wife's pathology interviews, I may have an interest in doing so in about half a year...

Cheers,
Ben
New Wife's-pathology interviews? >:-)
New Yes, she'll be a pathological expert
New wow! goatrope her into a trip east
I'll bring my gray's anatomy and she can disallution me about all my pre-conceived ideas. My fav part of medicine, she will do well.
regards,
daemon
New That's up to her
She's been before, but wasn't too interested in returning. Something about not knowing anyone, and not having common interests.

Ben
New If you do decide to come here
lemme know as I get a nice referral bonus and kickbacks are possible.

New Get yourself enough iwetheyers in your dept...
...and you'll have the next PARC.
New Imagine what PARC might have done
if they'd been entirely focused on maximizing purchase rates.

New I can answer all those questions.
Let's see: C, Java, check.

1. Unix is a family of operating systems. Traditionally, operating systems are used to mediate access to the hardware resources of the computer for application programs. I/O - There are three main streams for input and output. Standard In (stdin) is used for input to the program, and traditionally comes from the console (ie- keyboard). Standard Out (stdout) is used for output, and traditionally goes to the console (ie- the monitor). Standard Error (stderr) is for outputting error messages from either the program or the system, and also traditionally goes to the console (ie- the monitor). However, these streams can be redirected to/from other things, such as a file, over a network, another program, etc.

2. Let's see... inheritance, polymorphism, abstraction, encapsulation... I'd give you a cocktail napkin design of a simple system, but my ascii art sucks.

3. Heh, we've been over this before:) Uppercase.c: check each member of a string to ensure it falls in the 0x61 to 0x7A range, and if so, subtract 0x20 from it. This will convert [a-z] to [A-Z].

4. You mean things like arrays, hashes, bintrees, balanced trees (red black, AVL trees), sets, linked lists, doubly linked lists, etc etc, blahdeblah, bullshit bullshit?

5. Well, those depend on platform. On mine, an int is 32 bits long, shorts are 16 bits long, though I gotta admit I need a reference to nav my way around floats; IEEE 754 doesn't come off the top of my head yet, and of course you gotta find out if your signed ints are 1s complement or what have you. Bitwise ANDs and ORs are a great way to do certain types of things, though...

... and I'm not even that great of a student; some of the kids I go to school with put me to shame on a routine basis. That said, I wrote a killer movie recommendations subsystem for my third year SA class that got serious kudos from the prof... did it by calculating various users' deviation from the taste of the requesting user, and using them to assign weightings to various movies. Returns a java.util.TreeMap with the most recommended movies being lowest weighted, and therefore being at the root of the tree (use the getFirst() method). You can also use it to get the least recommended movie by pulling from the ultimate branch (use the getLast() method). The nice thing about returning the TreeMap data structure is that it's up to the calling program just how many recommendations it wants to get because it can just make successive calls to
do (int i = 0; i < numRecs; i++)\n{\n   String[] retArray[i] = someTreeMap.getFirst();\n   someTreeMap.remove(retArray[i]);\n}
So, am I hired? ;P
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New When can you get here?
Seriously.

Shoot me a resume - first two letters of my first name first two letters of my last name at that big internet book store.

You'd have to move BTW.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Nov. 8, 2004, 03:47:59 PM EST
New YEAH!
-drl
New Ooh yeah - IWETHEY-West, here we come!
New I could take a stab...
And I know at least one more person who may do so.
--

New Almost contradictory requests
You seem to want people who focus on both machine-level performance stuff and on higher level architecture issues. Most tend to gravitate toward one or the other. Tree-heads often make poor forest-heads and visa versa in my observation.

Regarding "and do a sane cocktail napkin OO design", nobody agrees on what good OO design is. OOD is very inconsistent from (proclaimed) guru-to-guru and person-to-person. You are essentially asking for people who think just like you do, which is a crap-shoot rather than finding the real cream.

He wants people who are grounded in theory, by with enough experience to think for themselves. I would have failed the OO portion, but then again, I'm probably not the type of programmer he is looking for. But I may have shown enough thought process to be acceptable, whether or not I had enough OO theory.

Tree people need to be babysat. He does not want them.

Bottom line: He knows want he wants and he know how bad people CAN be, and is trying to avoid them.
New There seems to be a problem in CS education

Because I keep reading stories from smart people who are inundated with programmers who couldn't code their way out of a paper bag. The fact that the smartest and most talented young programmers I know are all self-taught from non-CS backgrounds seems to back that up.

\r\n\r\n

What goes on in those schools? Do they just hand out "Java in 21 days" books and schedule commencement three weeks later?

--\r\nYou cooin' with my bird?
     Finding decent programmers - (tuberculosis) - (56)
         well.. - (deSitter)
         Not surprising. - (admin) - (35)
             Don't agree - (tuberculosis) - (34)
                 Hire Jake - (deSitter)
                 Re: Don't agree - (admin) - (22)
                     Oh yeah - we want one scripting language - (tuberculosis) - (21)
                         Please don't ask the one about the manhole covers. :-/ - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Otherwise known as... - (admin)
                         Shell scripting isn't the same thing at all. - (admin) - (9)
                             I said it was rhetorical - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 Don't you mean, "rederickal"? - (admin)
                             Admin, I'd like a copy of the CD or the ISO. -NT - (folkert) - (6)
                                 I'll throw a copy up on my site. - (admin) - (5)
                                     I wonder if that CD would be good as a VMWare image - (tonytib)
                                     When ever. Its a *NOT* short term thing. -NT - (folkert)
                                     Re: I'll throw a copy up on my site. - (admin) - (2)
                                         Interesting. - (folkert) - (1)
                                             Enjoy. -NT - (admin)
                         Potentially sparse? I don't think so... - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                             I took the ones that start with 0 into account. - (admin) - (2)
                                 I was referring to the step where you... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                     Ah, gotcha. Good point. -NT - (admin)
                             For various values of "sparse" - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 Unless you have a lot of knowledge... - (ben_tilly)
                             Re: social security numbers can start with 0 - (a6l6e6x)
                         Re: Oh yeah - we want one scripting language - (ubernostrum) - (1)
                             IRLRPD. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
                 NEED to be fixed or MAY need to be fixed? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     MAY - (tuberculosis)
                 you dont sell fish anymore, who cares if its fresh? - (daemon)
                 Reversing words is trickier than chars - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                     read the post above yours :-) - (daemon)
                     You're missing an obvious and good solution - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                         ohhh - (Arkadiy)
                         An obvious but NOT necessarily good solution - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             It gives the results I expect - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 I was assuming... - (ben_tilly)
         Well it helps if you learn to spell it - (ben_tilly) - (10)
             I think you'd pass - (tuberculosis) - (9)
                 RemoveSpaces - (Arkadiy)
                 I might pass at that... - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                     Wife's-pathology interviews? >:-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Yes, she'll be a pathological expert -NT - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             wow! goatrope her into a trip east - (daemon) - (1)
                                 That's up to her - (ben_tilly)
                     If you do decide to come here - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                         Get yourself enough iwetheyers in your dept... - (FuManChu) - (1)
                             Imagine what PARC might have done - (tuberculosis)
         I can answer all those questions. - (jake123) - (3)
             When can you get here? - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 YEAH! -NT - (deSitter)
                 Ooh yeah - IWETHEY-West, here we come! -NT - (inthane-chan)
         I could take a stab... - (Arkadiy)
         Almost contradictory requests - (tablizer) - (1)
             Not true - (broomberg)
         There seems to be a problem in CS education - (ubernostrum)

Be careful. Zucchini can be dangerous if only wounded.
372 ms