IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dumpster Diving for used Macs
Any ideas where I might be going for a dumpster dive to get a used Mac that way? Should I scope out college dumpsters near computer labs? :)

I haven't dumpster dived since I was a teenager. Wear old clothes, get a cloth to cover your mouth, and dive right in. I used to target nearby businesses and would get old calculators, lamps, and stuff. If it gets scratched up, or dented, or dinged, they pitch it out. I wonder if Dumpster Diving is against the law now?

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
New *grin*
I got mine in my apartment complex...

Corpies can get upset unless you check with someone first - I'd try maintenance, not security or IS. Tell 'em you're a hobbyist, and want 'em for the parts.

Let's see - I've found PC's, Macs, monitors, keyboards and mice. At least here, they put the PCs alongside the dumpsters so true 'diving' is unnecessary.

Good luck!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Dumpster-free dumpster diving
Works a treat, as the dumper, not the dumpee.

When moving house recently I realised there was a whole bunch'o'crap I no longer needed. A council-cleanup (half-yearly event where you put all your big items of rubbish on the footpath and the council takes them away) was in progress at a friend's place, so they took an Apple 13" monitor, a Commodore 1501? (old C64 composite RGB thingy), and a 14" VGA. Sure enough, I think they all disappeared within a day, well before the council arrived.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Commodore 1541
It is a classic floppy drive, a legend because as far as I know it was the slowest floppy drive on the planet! ;) Now with [link|http://www.mess.org/|MESS], I can run C64 software and not take too long to load. ;)

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
New Yes but I was talking about a monitor
I had a 1571 disk drive to go with my Commodore 128. It cleverly emulated the 1541 when in C64 mode, including the absolutely atrocious speed, and the save-with-replace bug. :( Not that being able to overwrite a file is a basic tenet of disk-drive operation, or anything. Hmm... maybe CBM stol the BIOS off a tape-drive, which didn't generall have to worry about such hoity-toity shenanigans as overwriting a file...

On seconds thoughts the monitor may have been a 1901. Since I also had (no, have!) a 1081 and a 1084S, no wonder I get confused.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
     A good place to get cheap used Macs? - (orion) - (10)
         Dumpsters? - (imric) - (5)
             Dumpster Diving for used Macs - (orion) - (4)
                 *grin* - (imric) - (3)
                     Dumpster-free dumpster diving - (Meerkat) - (2)
                         Commodore 1541 - (orion) - (1)
                             Yes but I was talking about a monitor - (Meerkat)
         Practical Computers in Springfield, VA - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Not really near me - (orion)
         eBay - (cforde) - (1)
             Looks good - (orion)

Connection reset by peer.
42 ms