IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Toast no matter what?
Or if I work 50 to 60 hours a week, would they change their mind and keep me?

If I am toast no matter what, why the probation when they could have easily fired me? I think it is one set of managers that wants me gone, and another that wants me to stay. In July it will be my 5th year anniversary and I get that extra week of vacation and higher profit sharing. The other programmer analysts have less years than me, so I have seniority. Too bad I cannot please all the managers, but that's life. Maybe things will change with the new policies?

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
New Fat chance.
The probation is known in legal circles as "covering your ass." My wife found out about this the hard way - an unsubstantiated (read: she didn't do it, but we know who made up the rumor) rumor made it's way to her boss. Bammo, she goes on "probation" for two weeks, with strict rules supposedly to shape her behavior. She pulls it off without a hitch. They bring up a whole host of "new" things that were not mentioned before as further excuse to fire her ass, so they don't get slapped with unemployment claims.

This happened about two years ago, and I wish I could have talked her into suing the bastards. They didn't really prove themselves in their claims, but she was too much of a wimp.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Yep
What he said.

Even "at will" states have various issues. Denial of unemployment insurance is one -- you may not be able to collect if you resign, or if you're fired "with cause". There's also the issue of opening up a lawsuit against your employer. It's going to be more expensive for them to fight than to settle, in most cases. The "probationary period" may strengthen their case.

Again: I'd talk to an employment issues lawyer. Sounds like you're going to need it. A mental anguish case might be well founded, given what you've presented here.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
     The New Developer Team at work - (orion) - (19)
         Wow. - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Easier said than done - (orion)
         News Flash... - (hnick)
         the beatings will continue... - (cforde) - (2)
             I read it the same way... :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
             Bingo! :( -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Run Away! - (tuberculosis) - (7)
             Agreed - (ben_tilly)
             Untrue - (Yendor) - (5)
                 That is their policy - (orion) - (4)
                     If thats true - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                         Toast no matter what? - (orion) - (2)
                             Fat chance. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                 Yep - (kmself)
         Find yourself a workers' rights lawyer - (kmself)
         Get out. - (Silverlock)
         Just as long as... - (Meerkat)
         Fsck 'em. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             Colleges, a possibility - (orion)

Now that's what I call self-defecating humor.
40 ms