IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Back in my SA days...
...not too long ago, I usually tailored what was allowed and what wasn't depending on the environment and the users. My two biggest SA jobs were at software development companies were I was mostly dealing with developers. Some good (they were given quite a bit of leeway), some bad (next to no leeway) and some neutral. With production and some development servers I kept a lid on what could be done and anything to be added, changed, etc. went through me since anything done could affect most of the staff. In most cases those additions or changes were no problem.

The developers usually had Sun workstations at their desk that they had free reign to if they so desired knowing that if they did something to it which screwed something up and I couldn't fix it fairly quickly, the system would get reinstalled via jumpstart. Any window manager was fine, any tool, or even using local workstation storage with the knowledge that it was never backed up. Certainly any other OS would have been okay as long as they understood that there wouldn't be expert support of it for a while at least.
lister
New DING, DING, DING!!! We have a winnah!
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
Here is an example: [link|http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/gm001-ie/|Executing arbitrary commands without Active Scripting or ActiveX when using Windows]
     Asked our UNIX SA to install vim on 11i box - (deSitter) - (33)
         You're confused - (pwhysall) - (1)
             And lo, Trevor proves my point - (deSitter)
         Re: Asked our UNIX SA to install vim on 11i box - (daemon) - (3)
             Re: Asked our UNIX SA to install vim on 11i box - (deSitter) - (2)
                 How much "support" does vim really need, anyway? - (jb4) - (1)
                     None, but what does that matter? - (deSitter)
         Amazing... - (ben_tilly) - (22)
             Re: Amazing... - (deSitter) - (5)
                 That was a simple statement of fact - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                     Programmers are often naive about group action in IT - (deSitter) - (3)
                         If only you'd provide me with facts to deal with - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             Nice facts - (deSitter) - (1)
                                 Didn't I ask you to cut out the unsupported opinions? - (ben_tilly)
             Ditto - (admin) - (15)
                 And the largest place you've worked is? - (deSitter) - (12)
                     What does that have to do with anything? - (admin) - (11)
                         Everything - (deSitter) - (10)
                             Wrong. - (admin) - (9)
                                 Do banks count? No? -NT - (deSitter) - (8)
                                     Do you have a point? -NT - (admin)
                                     What? - (bepatient) - (3)
                                         Exactly - (deSitter) - (2)
                                             Er, duh? - (admin) - (1)
                                                 Re: Er, duh? - (deSitter)
                                     How about Morgan Stanley? - (folkert) - (2)
                                         This really needs to be broken out: Morgan Stanley on Linux. (new thread) - (folkert)
                                         Super, perceptions must be changing -NT - (deSitter)
                 Back in my SA days... - (lister) - (1)
                     DING, DING, DING!!! We have a winnah! -NT - (folkert)
         "prevailing attitude" - BS - (broomberg) - (3)
             K+R HP kernel compiler - (deSitter) - (2)
                 Oh that's just stupid - (broomberg) - (1)
                     It's a yob, ya know? :) -NT - (deSitter)

I hope you don't mind if I don't read this. I don't know if it's going where I don't want it to be going, but if it is going there, I *don't* want to go there, so the best place for me to be is here, not there, and here is where I'm staying.
*puts on blinders*
*whistles very loudly*
*claws out own eyes*
314 ms